The Resident Director (RD) serves as an integral member of the Residential Learning team and the Student Development division of Indiana Wesleyan University. The RD implements the Residential Learning mission and academic plan through the oversight of an on-campus living and learning environment for residential students. The Resident Director position at Indiana Wesleyan University is a full-time, 10 month, live-in professional position that reports directly to an Assistant Director and the Dean of Residential Learning.
The Resident Director position reports directly to an Assistant Director and the Dean of Residential Learning.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Model spiritual maturity and integrity through an active relationship with Jesus Christ
· Foster a positive residential community by being involved and visible in the residence hall/area and investing in the lives of the resident students
· Student Responsibilities: Respond to the individual needs of students within the residence hall/area, collaborating with Center for Student Success, Student Engagement, and CARE team.Proactively interact with students to aid in their success at IWU.
· Administrative Responsibilities: Manage hall budgets; maintain housing records; input student conduct records and student engagement activities into appropriate university systems; conduct area meetings; complete and submit end of year reports
· Professional Expectations:Operate a professional office; meet on a regular basis with supervisor and other members of the Residential Learning team; attend regular business meetings; actively participate in RD retreats, training, and planning activities; actively serve on one of several Residential Learning committees; submit weekly reports and other assigned materials
· Co-Curricular / Educational Expectations: Ensure that the residence hall/area mission and vision align with Indiana Wesleyan’s overall academic plan and the Residential Learning mission; develop a residence hall/area program plan that fulfills Residential Learning outcomes and the Residence Hall Area Learning Outcomes; work collaboratively with university faculty and staff in the implementation of program plans
·Facility Management: Regularly evaluate facility safety, condition, and cleanliness; submit work orders for building repairs and upgrades; oversee the assessment and payment of damages; oversee scheduling of hall/area facilities
· Responsibility to Student Staff: Supervise the Assistant Resident Director (ARD), Resident Assistants (RAs), and potentially a Graduate Assistant (GA). Participate in selection, training, mentoring, and evaluation of primary student staff; conduct a weekly business meeting; hold student staff accountable to their job descriptions and responsibilities.
· Fulfill other duties as assigned by supervisor.
The Resident Director supervises an Assistant Resident Director (ARD), Resident Assistants (RAs), and potentially a Graduate Assistant (GA).QUALIFICATIONS
According to Indiana Wesleyan University’s employment policy, all employees must possess a strong Christian commitment and adhere to the standards outlined in the IWU Community Lifestyle Statement.Education· Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in Student Affairs or related field strongly preferred.Experience· Prior leadership in a residential community preferred.· Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.· Demonstrated ability to mentor and disciple students.Required Skills· Ability to work both independently and as a willing and effective member of a larger team.· Strong administrative abilities.·Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. In addition, nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
Indiana Wesleyan University is committed to equal opportunity in employment and maintaining a work environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. Accordingly, the University affords equal opportunity to all employees and prospective employees without regard to race, sex, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
These have access to all the rights, privileges, and programs generally made available to employees at the University. It does not discriminate in the administration of its policies, programs, nor during any phase of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, treatment during employment, rates of pay or other compensation, and termination of employment.
As an educational institution operating under The Wesleyan Church, Indiana Wesleyan University reserves and exercises its privileges under applicable law to prefer employees on the basis of religion and who are best suited to its religious purpose.
Indiana Wesleyan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer