Manager for Research and Advanced Studies
The Manager for Research and Advanced Studies will be responsible for managing the daily processes/functions and events in regards to grant proposals and contracts for the School of Veterinary Medicine. This position will maintain general familiarity with faculty research activities in order to assist with identifying funding opportunities and preparing standard grant components. During the 2018 Fiscal Year (FY), the School of Veterinary Medicine faculty submitted 140 extramural grant proposals requesting $65M in new R&D funding, which is a 44% increase over 2017 levels. The SVM's current research portfolio is $58.1M and is expected to increase for FY 2021.
- Assists the School of Veterinary Medicine faculty with developing budgets, preparing proposals for and submission of all sponsored programs grants, contracts, and other research related agreements. Reviews budgets for appropriate object code designation and proposal forms for accuracy. Manages the submission and acceptance of all grants an contracts for research support. Serves as the liaison with the Office of Sponsored Program Accounting when negotiating terms and contract language with external sponsors and contract coordinating agencies. Acts as liaison between sponsors, OSP, Sponsored Program Accounting, Office of Intellectual Property, and assists investigators throughout the grant process. Identifies potential funding opportunities that are consistent with ongoing faculty research. Assists the Research Committee in the annual distribution of RFPs and reviews of intramural grants and ACRES proposals as needed. Enters grant proposals, budgets, and faculty information into ASSIST.
- Monitors and communicates University research policy and sponsored guideline changes. Provides training and serves as the primary contact for contract review and negotiation. Develops, implements, and presents workshops for faculty/staff regarding contracts, subcontracts, and other research related items.
- Creating and maintaining standardized forms/ reports for proposal submission and administration, including but not limited to, pre-filled grant form pages, faculty biosketch database, and account tracking report. Maintains electronic filing system and research records, tracks extramural and intramural grants of School of Veterinary Medicine. Manage and compile data as it relates to research activity statistics, including but not limited to the number and requested amounts of submitted and successful proposals, current funding status and number of manuscripts generated by faculty, staff, and students. Prepares annual NIFA REEports and maintains NIFA files.
- Assist with coordinating research related activities such as the Summer Scholars Program, annual research dinner, Diploma Ceremonies for MS and PhD students, and Phi Zeta Research Day if needed. Coordinates research-related workshops, meetings, seminars, and travel to research symposium. Assists the Graduate Academic Council with meetings. Will perform other duties as assigned by the Associate Dean for Research and Advanced Studies.
Bachelor's degree with 3 years of related experience or Master's degree and 1 year of related experience
A specific degree in Accounting, Business Administration or related field or MBA, MPA or related
Special or Physical Qualifications
Position is subject to an office environment and must be able to operate a computer, telephone, and other office machinery, remain seated for extended periods of time, bend, squat, twist, move about to accomplish tasks, ability to receive and exchange detailed information through oral and written communication, make substantial movements of the wrists, hands, or fingers.
Due to the nature of this position and/or responsibilities, this position is subject to random drug & alcohol testing in accordance with University Policy Statement 67.
Ability to travel to conferences, if needed.
Valid Driver's License to operate a vehicle
- Proficient in database management and computer application knowledge
- Proficient in math and accounting knowledge
- Advanced in effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Interpersonal skills
Please provide your cover letter, resume, and three professional references including name, title, phone number and e-mail address. A copy of your transcript(s) may be attached to your application (if available). However, original transcripts are required prior to hire.
Please attach ALL required documents under the "Resume/CV" section of your application.
Overview of the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine
The LSU School of Veterinary Medicine is a dynamic community dedicated to saving lives, finding cures, and changing lives through outstanding clinical and community service, educational excellence, and groundbreaking scholarly research. The School is composed of three academic departments: Comparative Biomedical Sciences, Pathobiological Sciences, and Veterinary Clinical Sciences plus the Veterinary Medical Library, VTH&C, and the Louisiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory. It supports a diverse learning environment for professional and graduate students, residents and interns, and post-doctoral fellows and serves as the center of biomedical research for the LSU campus funded by the National Institutes of Health, United States Department of Agriculture, and other federal, state, and industrial resources.
The School’s research focus can be seen in its Center of Excellence for Infectious Diseases, Equine Health Studies Program, Division of Biotechnology & Molecular Medicine (BioMMED), Division of Laboratory Animal Medicine, and Laboratory for Equine and Comparative Orthopedic Research. On the local and state level, the SVM has established research partnerships with the LSU Health Sciences Center, Tulane National Primate Center, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, LSU Agriculture Center, and the LSU Aquaculture Research Station. Furthermore, SVM faculty are engaged in many research collaborations with national and international academic and research institutions. They conduct cutting edge Comparative Biomedical and Translational Research at the SVM. The SVM faculty have successfully garnered research funding from a number of extramural granting agencies including NIH, USDA-NIFA, NSF, and Morris Animal Foundation. The SVM was ranked eighth overall for research funding in 2020 by the Blue Ridge Institute for Medical Research among the 32 veterinary schools in the US. SVM also participates in national and state disease diagnostic and surveillance programs through LADDL and plays a significant role in protecting animal and human health in Louisiana.
The School was fully accredited by the AVMA-COE in 2020. It offers three degrees including the D.V.M. degree and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Biomedical & Veterinary Medical Sciences.
Training geared toward board certification in AVMA recognized specialty colleges is offered in the Veterinary Clinical Sciences and Pathobiological Sciences departments. To learn more about the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine’s history, mission and strategic plan, visit https://www.lsu.edu/vetmed/index.php.
Additional Position Information:
Background Check - An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
Benefits - LSU offers outstanding benefits to eligible employees and their dependents including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement options; various leave options; paid holidays; wellness benefits; tuition exemption for qualified positions; training and development opportunities; employee discounts; and more!
LSU is committed to diversity and is an equal opportunity / equal access employer.
Questions or concerns can be directed to the LSU Human Resources Management Office at 225-578-8200 or emailed [email protected]
LSU Values Diversity
Diversity is fundamental to LSU’s mission. The university is committed to creating and maintaining a living and learning environment that embraces individual differences. Cultural inclusion is of the highest priority. LSU recognizes achieving international prominence depends on the human spirit, participation, and dedicated work of the entire university community. The LSU Strategic Plan will be realized by bringing together diverse ideas, perspectives, skills, and talents of the nation’s preeminent scholars, brightest students, and leading higher education professionals. Through its Commitment to Community, LSU strives to create an inclusive, respectful, and intellectually challenging climate that embraces individual difference in race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, religion/spirituality, socioeconomic status, disability, family or marital status, genetic information, veteran’s status, experiences, opinions, and ideas. LSU proactively cultivates and sustains a campus environment that values open dialogue, cooperation, shared responsibility, mutual respect, and cultural competence—the driving forces that enrich and enhance cutting-edge research, first-rate teaching, and engaging community outreach activities. To learn more, visit LSU Together at https://lsu.edu/together/
Louisiana State University is an exceptional university committed to serving its state, the nation, and the world through education, research, and public service. Located in one of America’s most beautiful and unique locations, LSU is a community of scholars and professionals committed to opportunity without restrictions that are based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.