Windows Systems Administrator
PG190743EPInternal Recruitment :
Windows Systems AdministratorAnticipated Hiring Range:
$90,000 - $105,000Work Schedule:
8:00am-5:00pm Monday - FridayJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Windows & Middleware ServicesAbout the Department:
The Office of Information Technology provides central IT services to the University. OIT staff is committed to providing the best possible IT systems and services for the students, faculty and affiliates of NC State.
OIT Vision: Be the IT organization people seek out as a partner for providing visionary strategies, creative solutions, objective information, and effective and efficient services in order to help them achieve their mission and goals.
OIT Mission: To provide nimble, effective, efficient and collaborative IT services, solutions and strategies in a timely and helpful manner that assists the university, state and nation in achieving their strategic goals.Essential Job Duties:
- Applies expert knowledge to design and optimize the enterprise Windows infrastructure.
- Evaluate & design new technology implementations for campus-scale implementation.
- Develops and implements solutions to highly complex problems, resolving those that span multiple layers (including hardware, networking, OS and application) and that require working with other OIT units such as IT Security, Infrastructure, and Networking.
- Coordinates with other campus IT units and third party vendors, particularly Microsoft.
- Integrates systems with multiple institutional data sources.
- Implements and maintains directory services that support Active Directory and other unit efforts.
- Scripts routine system administration tasks.
- Acts as a subject matter expert in Microsoft enterprise technologies, modifies highly complex configurations necessary for providing AD services at enterprise scale.
- Understands and is able to apply best practices; is able to determine when deviations from standard practices are appropriate for this complex environment.
- Possess thorough, expert knowledge of Windows Server and some basic working knowledge of Unix/Linux operating systems.
- Has knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. Powershell) for the purpose of automating routine system administration tasks.
- Serves as a technical resource for analysts and specialists in the work unit and the campus at large.
- Independently resolves highly problems through advanced systems analysis and troubleshooting procedures.
- Acts as a point of contact with Microsoft Support for technical issues, and works with other 3rd-party vendors as needed to resolve problems in a timely way.
- Has broad understanding of available Internet support resources and excellent research skills.
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or closely related degree from an appropriately accredited institution and three years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming, or closely related area.
- Bachelor’s degree from an appropriately accredited institution and four years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming or closely related area.
- Associate’s degree in Computer Information Technology, Computer Engineering Technology, or Networking Technology from an appropriately accredited institution and five years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming, or closely related area; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with system administration for a large-scale Windows and Active Directory infrastructure (~1,000+ users).
- System administration experience with Azure AD / Microsoft 365 environments. Configuring Azure cloud resources for both IaaS and PaaS.
- Knowledge of System Center Configuration Management or Intune endpoint management.
- Advanced knowledge of Active Directory, Microsoft Windows Server current versions, Kerberos, group policy, DFS, LDAP.
- Basic knowledge of networking, including IP routing, subnetting and firewall rule definitions.
- Knowledge of and experience with security best practices and technologies.
- Experience scripting system administration tasks in Powershell.
- Prefer Azure environment PowerBI experience.
- Strong experience with Microsoft SCCM, Mobile device management (i.e. Intune) Experience/understanding of AD Directory Services, Cloud IaaS/Paas, PKI and SQL Server.
- Experience with Azure Infrastructure, Office 365 administration
- Microsoft certifications in current server versions and/or Azure technologies is desirable.
- Relevant, current Microsoft certifications preferred.
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
01/07/2021Anticipated Close Date:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Evacuations/Natural HazardsIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
517101 - Shared ServicesAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.