Data Scientist, Regulatory Biology Laboratory, Dr. Satchidananda Panda
Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all position (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
The Regulatory Biology Laboratory at the Salk Institute uses data science tools to analyze large scale data ranging from RNA seq, DNA seq to human lifestyle datasets from food image analyses. The Data scientist position will work closely with other members of the lab and the PI to advance genomics and related research projects. A significant effort will be on standardizing methods to collect, process, sequence, and analyze RNA or DNA sequencing from animal and human tissues to address specific research questions. The position will manage the RNA-seq and DNA-seq data science needs of in the host lab as well as in several collaborating laboratories covering a large spectrum of scientific fields (Circadian rhythm, human performance, musculoskeletal system, immune system, and cell differentiation). Selecting appropriate statistical models and methods to analyze large scale data, functional annotation of datasets, using machine learning tools to discover new biological principles are also expected.
This position will also include some training in genomics analysis and interpretation of bioinformatics data. The position may also include presentation of scientific results at conferences, scientific writing, and preparation of reports and manuscripts.
(40%) Data analyses and management
- Collection, analyses, visualization and interpretation of largescale RNA-seq and DNA-seq datasets.
- Integrating data from different tissue types, time points and age to find new insight.
(30%) Statistical analyses of largescale data
- Choosing appropriate statistical models for data analyses, developing new methods and models for data analyses and interpretation.
(15%) Supervise research staff; train staff, assign tasks, oversee project task completion. Coordinate with the next generation sequencing core, bioinformatics core and collaborating labs in and outside Salk Institute.
(15%) Prepare reports, manuscripts and assist in the preparation of grant proposal.
- Minimum 3 years of experience after PhD in biological science, or minimum 1 year of experience after PhD in Computer science in large scale genomics and DNA sequence analyses.
- Familiarity with analyzing hundreds of sequence sets in individual experiments is necessary.
- Wet-lab experience in sample processing and preparation of sequencing libraries, sequencing.
- Peer-reviewed research publications reflecting experience and familiarity with large scale genomics data analyses.
- Work experience in academic research labs and familiarity with research ethics expected in carrying out federally funded projects.
- PhD in Biological sciences or computer science.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bioinformatics Skills in analyzing large scale RNA-seq and DNA-seq data.
- Data science skill in machine learning or image processing.
- Ability to independently manage large sequencing projects from design to data analyses.
- Troubleshoot data analyses process.
- Familiarity with programming languages R, Python, C++
- Machine learning skills
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute’s background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
This position will constantly be adjusting focus, grasping, hearing, keying, sitting, standing, analyzing, calculating, reading, reasoning, writing and working inside.