Job no: 515435
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Business/Accounting/Finance, Human Resources
Department:33080000 - HP-HEALTH SERVICES ADMIN
Advertised: 06 Jan 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 01 Feb 2021 Eastern Standard Time
MGR, OperationsJob Description:
This position serves as the Financial and Administrative officer for the department of Health Services Research, Management and Policy (HSRMP) in the College of Public Health and Health Professions (PHHP). This position is responsible to the Chair for all aspects of budgetary planning, fiscal management, human resource activities and business matters as well as documentation and records for each of these areas. This position is responsible for and oversees the development of the department financial accounting, internal auditing, personnel policies and associated reporting required by higher management. Responsible for ensuring that the Department functions in accordance with University, State, and Federal rules and regulations in reference to finance, business and human resource matters. The incumbent in this position performs a broad range of administrative duties in support of the department chair and as such, must exhibit a highly professional demeanor and attitude, maintain a high level of confidentiality, and exercise independent and prudent judgment when completing the tasks and responsibilities associated with his/her duties.
- Serve as financial officer for the department. Responsible to the Chair for all aspects of budgetary planning, fiscal management and business matters. Responsible for and oversee the development of department financial accounting, internal auditing, and associated reporting required by higher management. Formulate and recommend policies, procedures and processes to effectively administer fiscal and accounting functions. Supervise the expenditure of resources to ensure compliance with the budget approved by the Chair. Develop department budgets; reconcile all accounts monthly, as required for the day-to-day management of the department. Notify the chair of any discrepancies or concerns related to monthly budgetary reconciliation. Assure compliance with UF, RGP, College and department regulations as well as state and federal regulations. Process, train and supervise staff in fiscal functions, including purchasing, payables, travel, etc. Also responsible for space report. Prepare reports and make requests to the Dean’s Office to transfer funds as deemed necessary. Track startup monies and special monies the Chair provides to each faculty member including providing reports to the faculty of their expenditures. Collaborate with the Dean’s Office on financial reporting and business matters. Act as the immediate contact with external auditors and/or consultants on departmental financial matters. Collaborate and meet monthly with the assigned college-level Research Administrator to be aware of grant funds and changes to payroll. Provide updates on fund changes to chair. In conjunction with the department’s Research Administrator II, assist faculty with preparation and review of all grant budgets for proposals before submission.
- Serve as the administrative human resources coordinator. This position is responsible for and oversees all the human resource activities for the department. Develop and monitor department personnel policies and procedures. Responsible for assuring compliance with Faculty, TEAMS and USPS regulations, HIPAA compliance, affirmative action, security and other regulatory functions. Oversee effort reporting and completion of faculty assignment reports (FAR). Responsible for reporting to the college and university on various aspects of performance management, i.e., faculty activities, benchmarking, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) reports, FTE reports, etc. Serve as training coordinator for special programs. Responsible for supervising support staff. Participate in the resolution of personnel problems. Counsel and recommend personnel actions pertaining to work performance, promotions, reclassifications, hiring and terminations.
- This position will be the primary liaison for all faculty and staff recruitments, hires and employment changes for the department. Responsibilities may include providing assistance and information to search committee and hiring authority for faculty and staff recruitments, drafting/reviewing advertisements, assisting as needed with candidate visits, and drafting letters of offer. Oversee changes to current faculty, post-docs, and staff employment statuses, which may include FTE changes, administrative supplements, special pay increases, etc.
- Coordinate annual performance appraisal process for all staff and evaluation process for faculty. Oversee faculty promotion and tenure processes. Assist Chair in preparing faculty annual letters of evaluation as needed. Ensure renewal letters are drafted and issued in a timely manner to affected faculty, in coordination with the department chair. Facilitate all employee relations issues within the department, including disciplinary issues, non-renewals and layoffs. Oversee the reconciliation of departmental payroll records and time/leave audits bi-weekly. Facilitate department special projects such as invited speakers, conferences, special reports, meetings, etc. Serve as liaison between Dean’s office and faculty for various committees. Serve as the department's key custodian.
- Assist the department chair with the overall management and operation of his/her office by performing a variety of administrative and support duties that require an extensive working knowledge of the University of Florida. Work closely with the Chair and coordinate pertinent interactions that he/she has with the department’s faculty, the Office of the Dean (PHHP), the Office of the Senior Vice President, UF Health administrators, fellow PHHP Department Chairs, and other senior administrators to support the Chair’s institutional responsibilities, including activities with key internal and external constituencies. This involves the acquisition and dissemination of information to aid in the understanding and knowledge of the mission of the Department and College in research, teaching and service, including assisting the chair with preparation of publications and annual reports. Serve as a liaison to the department chair in his/her advisory, leadership and governance relationships with various professional associations as needed. This requires a working knowledge of each organization, and their respective functions, and interacting on behalf of the department chair with these organizations. Research a variety of complex materials in the process of interpreting policies and rules as they relate to particular inquiries from the general public, accrediting bodies, other PHHP departments, the Office of the Dean PHHP, and University of Florida constituencies as needed. Coordinate all projects and timelines for chair, ensuring deadlines are met and timelines are adhered to. These projects may include assisting with reporting and documentation for the Chair’s grant funding. Ensure chair is aware of all departmental activities.
- Responsible for all components of scheduling and arranging a variety of meetings, activities and events. In this role, and as dictated by the specific event, duties may include communication with event venue coordinators, participants, creating/managing Doodle polls, scheduling appropriate amount of time, determining appropriate amount of space required, selecting/securing location, arranging parking, distributing materials, monitoring and tracking participation, arranging for meals, drafting agenda (including breaks), and other associated tasks to ensure activity is organized and successful. Attend meetings as requested to prepare draft reports, record Minutes, and/or coordinate associated activities. This includes coordinating all aspects of the department’s annual conference, the Gator Healthcare Forum.
- Provide general administrative oversight to the academic programs of the department. Duties may include researching potential new academic programs; drafting/reviewing/approving standard templates to assist with communications to students; managing and triaging potential conflicts in programmatic scheduling and class attendance; or other duties as requested by the Program Director and/or Chair. Process, train, and supervise Academic Specialist I with his/her duties and responsibilities. Assist academic staff with coordination of course schedules and graduate assistant assignments as it relates to financial matters.
- Triage incoming and outgoing communications, including mail/email, telephone, reports, manuscripts and speeches. Manage a variety of publications for the department to include weekly news updates on the website, submissions to college level publications and the annual department newsletter. Assist with the preparation of briefings, presentations, proposals and responses. Assist with academic and/or fiscal reports as needed. Maintain confidential filing system.
$60,000 - $69,000 annuallyMinimum Requirements:
Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area and three years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- Must have experience with budget preparation, projections, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and preparation of statistical accounting data as needed.
- Knowledge of University of Florida policies and procedures.
- Previous experience with human resource functions.
- Demonstrated strong customer service skills, excellent interpersonal skills and superior organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize and problem solve efficiently and effectively, multi-task efficiently, delegate appropriately, and shift priorities quickly.
- Self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic.
- Ability to confidentially handle employee and student information.
- Excels in use of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook. Strong Internet skills.
- Knowledge of standard business formats and styles for letters and business forms. Knowledge of correct spelling, punctuation and grammar usage.
- Ability to compose correspondence efficiently, effectively and independently.
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution committed to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US.
This is a time-limited position.
Normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm. Additional hours as required to meet the needs of the position.Health Assessment Required: