Coding & Billing Specialist-Senior
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-01-06
The incumbent is responsible for timely, accurate and comprehensive abstraction of physician services from the medical chart/record, utilizing appropriate CPT-4 procedure and ICD-10 diagnosis codes.
- Reviews medical record documentation to identify all services provided by physicians.
- Assigns appropriate CPT-4 procedure code(s) to accurately report the physician services provided to patients.
- Assigns appropriate ICD-10 diagnosis code(s) to accurately support the need for each physician service.
- Assists with the submission of billing data to the University of Virginia Physicians Group.
- Obtains and submits copies of medical documentation with physician charges to support billing to third-party payors.
- Identifies physician services provided, but not adequately documented in the medical record. Advises supervisor and clinicians of deficiencies to support charge capture of all billing services.
- Analyzes and resolves physician claim rejects and denials from the billing system or insurance carriers related to coding issues.
- Assists with physician billing and documentation training in daily interactions with physicians and other routine training sessions.
- Compiles monthly reports as requested.
- Identifies trends/problems in medical documentation and department request issue and recommend possible solutions.
- Other duties as requested by supervisor.
High School Diploma or GED
3 years coding experience
CPCs must be certified by AAPC or CCS-P through AHIMA to qualify for all functional areas
Familiarity with personal computer operations
Basic word processing and spreadsheet software required
Must have experience creating spreadsheets, reports, and trends data
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.