Resource Development Editor - Nationwide Search
Job no: 507102
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: UMDI - PMFO Head Start
Union: Non-Unit Exempt
Categories: Sponsored Programs, Grants and Contracts, Research
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The University of Massachusetts Donahue Institute’s (UMDI) Program Management and Fiscal Operations (PMFO) business unit, funded through the federal Office of Head Start (OHS) National Training & Technical Assistance (TTA) System, works closely with OHS to ensure that all Head Start/Early Head Start (HS/EHS) agencies have access to current, high-quality, and evidence-based information, resources, and T/TA to support program management, leadership, governance and fiscal operations.
The PMFO Resource Development Production Editor will work closely with the PMFO Product Development Manager and PMFO content specialists to support the development of research-based presentations and training and technical assistance (T/TA) materials and tools, including:
The essential functions of the Resource Development Production Editor include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide PMFO content specialists with editorial support in the development of presentations and resources including adhering to writing conventions and established style guides.
- Utilize project management systems to assure the timely development of presentations and resources and safeguard quality control.
- Guide Hendall staff, the Head Start Information and Communication Center (HSICC) contractor, with the updating of learning materials on Head Start’s Early Childhood Learning & Knowledge Center (ECLKC) website.
- Create presentations using a number of different media tools such as Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, and AcrobatPro) and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Outlook).
- Participate in cross-functional teams from UMDI, FHI 360, and Zero to Three to implement webinar platform training and production.
- Coordinate and track the efficacy of promotional campaigns.
- Provide support in creating, launching, and utilizing new products, and work closely with key leadership staff to develop and test prototypes for T/TA products.
- Work with the UMDI evaluation team to incorporate quality assurance measures and processes into product utilization tracking systems.
- Communicate with the Program Director, Product Development Manager, Fiscal Lead and Program Management/Governance Lead to gain a vision of what products are needed and develop those products to be used in delivery of virtual and in-person TTA and for the Early Childhood Learning and Knowledge Center (ECLKC).
- Participate in research and trainings to stay current on adult learning best practices and industry trends.
- Participate in regular PMFO virtual meetings and occasional on-site meetings in Washington D.C.
- Work with PMFO team to ensure product development process is efficient.
- Work with PMFO team to deliver quality presentations and resources.
- Communicate routinely with the PMFO’s leadership team regarding product development activities.
- Develop and maintain a working understanding of key University administrative procedures, systems, and tools.
- Participate in business unit and UMDI wide initiatives as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as Education, English, Communications, or Social Work, and a minimum of four years' experience in project management, non-fiction writing, education, or professional development.
- Expertise in copyediting and resource development.
- Excellent standard of written and spoken English, grammar, and spelling.
- Attentiveness to accuracy and detail under pressure.
- A foundational understanding of the following:
- virtual events production, marketing, and data reporting.
- editorial software including Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office Suite.
- adult learning platforms, best practices and industry trends.
- instructional design process and solid understanding of responsive design and mobile readiness.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s degree in a related field such as Education, Communications, or Social Work.
- Product development experience in a Head Start regional or national T/TA setting or a nonprofit organizational management T/TA setting.
- Professional working proficiency of Spanish.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- May be required to maintain a home office, with a physically safe workspace that is an appropriate location for the telework, with high-speed internet access, sufficiently free of distractions. During remote work time, must be available for on-going contact with members of the team.
- Work both independently and in a team setting, and with varying amounts of support, as project assignments may require. Project assignments may vary and are made at the discretion of the PMFO Product Development Manager.
- Regular travel may be required, including occasional travel to Massachusetts and to Washington, D.C. The employee will be exposed to outside environmental conditions during travel times.
- Some moving and transporting of supplies and materials weighing less than 20 pounds.
- The physical/mental demands and work environment factors described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position is funded by grants and contracts, and is contingent upon funding. This is a full time benefited position. No relocation assistance provided.
The successful candidate must live in the United States, however, the position may be home-based.
Standard full-time work schedule consisting of five, eight-hour days and 40 hours each workweek. Work performed in addition to the regular work hours may be necessary, and may require a change in availability at specific times, to accommodate for variations in work demands.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references by January 21, 2021.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jan 7 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Jan 21 2021 Eastern Standard Time