Director, Center for Teaching and Learning
Job no: 494355
Work type: Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Academic Programs, Education and Training
Advertised: January 06, 2021
Applications close: February 05, 2021
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
Boise State University invites applications and nominations for the position of Director of the Center for Teaching and Learning. The mission of the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) is to support, promote and enhance inclusive teaching and effective pedagogical practice and to facilitate engagement in student learning. Our well-established Center serves a central role in a vibrant, collaborative university community, and supports a culture that strongly values teaching, learning, and student success. More information about the CTL mission and programming can be found at http://www.boisestate.edu/ctlWe seek an energetic, enthusiastic leader to guide our CTL into the future and to serve a university seeking to live its aspirational values around diversity, equity, and inclusion in our teaching and learning mission. The next few years present important opportunities for a new Director. In addition to engaging our existing staff in shaping the future of the CTL, they will help shape how faculty and academic programs build on what we're learning from the COVID19 pandemic and position effective teaching as a cornerstone in support of our new university strategic plan.Boise State University is an exciting place to work. We are a large, public university in Idaho with an enrollment of more than 24,000 students, located in Idaho’s capital city and largest metropolitan area. The university engages local government, businesses - including a growing high-tech sector, health care providers, and communities across the state as well as the region. Nested in the foothills, Boise is convenient to outdoor recreation, including world-class whitewater rivers, skiing, mountain biking, hunting, fishing, and camping. Boise is driving distance from many national parks as well as major metropolitan cities, such as Portland, Seattle, Salt Lake City, and San Francisco.Boise State University is a Carnegie Classified Doctoral Research University with an innovative model that emphasizes commitments to both a growing research profile and the prioritization of a high-quality undergraduate experience. We have a Carnegie Community Engagement classification and are working to become an Emerging Hispanic Serving Institution.
Oversees through subordinate Managers a large, complex organization with multiple functional disciplines/occupations, OR manages a program, regardless of size, that has critical impact upon the campus. Significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs, manages significant human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a very high degree of autonomy. Frequently influences business decisions made by senior leadership. Oversees through subordinate Managers the accountability and stewardship of campus resources and the development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Negotiates and influences others to understand and accept new concepts, practices and approaches.Essential Functions:
The Center for Teaching and Learning Director
- Provides leadership for the CTL’s mission, programs, and services. Contributes to a campus wide vision for a university culture that values inclusive, effective teaching and student success.Grounds the work of the CTL in inclusive excellence and evidence-based practices.Builds relationships with faculty and department chairs in order to foster a sense of community around teaching.Manages the allocation of resources, including time, to meet institutional needs for faculty/educational development.Supervises and collaborates with the CTL staff and leadership team.Participates directly in programming in support of faculty and departments (e.g, faculty consultations, workshops & institutes, curriculum development, etc.)Participates in campus committees and, as appropriate, provides leadership for institutional initiatives related to teaching, learning and student success.Cultivates connections and collaborations between the CTL and other units on campus engaged in faculty and student success. This includes, for example, the BUILD Program, the Institute for Inclusive and Transformational Scholarship, eCampus Center, and Learning Technologies Solutions.Contributes to the field of educational development (e.g., publications, conference presentations, consultations with other universities, advocacy work).Where appropriate, seeks grant funding that aligns with the CTL mission and that adds capacity and resources to the work of the CTL.
- Contributes directly to the university’s teaching mission by teaching one course per year.
Performs other duties as assigned
- Reports to the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies.
We welcome applications from individuals from a variety of professional backgrounds and pathways. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds and historically marginalized or underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Broad knowledge of evidence-based pedagogy and assessment strategies across disciplines
● Commitment to the creation of inclusive and equitable learning spaces for students and for faculty and staff.
● Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills
● Evidence of successfully establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization
● Evidence of effective, inclusive teaching practice.
● Master's degree
● Six (6) years of experience working in higher education, which will include at least both of the following
○ Two (2) years of experience supporting faculty growth and development in teaching
○ Two (2) years of teaching experience
● Two (2) years of supervisory experience
Earned doctorate degree or appropriate terminal degree from a regionally accredited college or universityPreferred Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrated leadership, facilitation, and assessment of faculty/educational development (in a center, program organization, or the equivalent)Formal teaching experience; supporting student learning through effective course design, instruction, and assessmentExperience leading and promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion programming in teaching and learning environmentsKnowledge of the role of experiential learning and educational technology in teaching, among other important trends in higher educationStrong understanding of institutional change processes and how faculty and organizational development are connected to institutional changeSupervisory experience supporting the growth and development of staffExperience managing departmental budgetsSuccessful grant writing experience and project implementation
Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for the position.
Resume or CV that includes employment history
The application interface will prompt you for the names and contact information for three professional references.