Security Officer, Senior
Posting Code: 2947462
Work type: Classified
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Safety and Security
Advertised: January 06, 2021
Applications close: January 20, 2021
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
The primary purpose of the Senior Security Officer is to provide a safe and secure environment for students, staff, faculty, and community members to learn, work, and visit. The Senior Security Officer also provides security services for facilities and grounds. He/she provides patrol, housing, and event coverage as needed.Level Scope:
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.Essential Functions:
The Security Officer,Senior must:
● Campus Security Authority: This position is identified as a “Campus Security Authority (CSA)” per the federal law known as the Clery Act. Per this law, the employee is required to report any crimes that he/she becomes aware of to the Clery Compliance Officer. Additionally, CSAs are required to complete annual training prescribed by the Clery Compliance Officer.
● Responds to calls for assistance; assists in calming, controlling, and restraining combative, intoxicated, and/or aggressive individuals; maintains surveillance of potentially volatile situations; contacts local law enforcement agencies for assistance regarding potential problem situations; directs and participates in searches of buildings and surrounding area; assures timely evacuation in case of fire or other disaster; prepares written reports.
● Provides for safety and security of residents and staff; enforces university policies and procedures; patrols campus and outbuildings to prevent vandalism and detect fires; patrols buildings ensuring that doors are locked and searches the facility when a door is found unlocked; observes movement on campus and uses radio to advise of disturbances or suspicious occurrences; reports safety hazards; conducts searches for contraband; investigates vandalism and theft; checks and logs security lights; reports mechanical malfunctions; may be asked to be the signing party on a police citation as a University representative; may make minor emergency maintenance repairs to ensure safety; may check the steam pressure and water level in the boilers.
● Escort residents to and from living areas; may provide back-up services for living unit personnel; may maintain precautions to prevent runaways and unauthorized absences of residents; may transport residents to and from area hospital, airport, or other points of origin/destination.
● Accurately write Incident Reports and Daily Officer Logs.
● Assist housing staff in the residence halls and campus housing areas with issues such as domestic disturbances, drug/alcohol incidents, disruptive/mentally disturbed subjects, fire alarms, etc. when requested.
● Provide initial assessment and intervention on confrontations between individuals on university owned properties.
● Communicate security related needs and information to various Boise State University departments, Boise Police Department (including university dispatch officers), and other non-campus entities via person to person contact, telephone, e-mail, etc.
● Assist law enforcement agencies with matters relating to Boise State students, staff, and/or faculty.
● Give safety presentations to groups or individuals; standby/assist Housing, Dean of Students, and other staff members when they are conducting interviews, advising people of discipline procedures or termination, escort people in and out of University owned/occupied buildings and/or spaces.
● Support DPS operations and complete lock-out and jumpstarts as requested.
● Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective security operations.
● Ability to communicate and convey information effectively.
● Be able to pass a criminal background check including a fingerprint check.
● Good knowledge of self-defense measures, First Aid/CPR/AED, security problems and safety hazards as they relate to the university setting which includes a large complex of buildings and grounds, students, staff, faculty, and community members.
● Experience performing investigations incidental to security activities and completing investigative reports.
Experience: applying fire and life safety hazards; evaluating and handling disturbances and security emergencies reading, applying, and following written and oral instructions; writing business reports, investigative reports, or detailed documentation; typing or using a keyboard.
At least 2 year experience in a security related field, preferably in a college or university setting
Possession of a current Idaho Drivers License upon employment
● Prior experience at an educational institution
● First Aid CPR
● ICS: 100, 200 and 700
● Current knowledge of best practices in security fields
This position pays $14.91 per hour depending on experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
● Cover Letter
● Three References