Ofc of Strategic InitiativesDepartment Website Link:Location:
Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The project manager will provide oversight and support for the 30+ Strategic Initiatives in the University of Arizona strategic plan which represents an investment of $30M+ for FY21. They will serve as a thought partner for the initiative teams to implement their plans, overcome challenges and optimize performance. In addition to supporting the strategic plan, the project manager will collaborate with both internal and external stakeholders to support the COVID-19 Test All Test Smart Program which focuses, first and foremost, on the safety of our students and employees. The project manager will work closely with colleagues in the OSI to prepare plans for the testing program based on the dynamic requirements established by national agencies and university leadership. They will support efforts for the rapid and efficient implementation of the plans allowing the campus to reopen and remain operational in a time when many universities have elected to adopt a fully online education and work from home strategy. These tremendously important responsibilities require a self-starter with a strong work ethic and endless enthusiasm for tackling new challenges on a daily basis.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more! The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Co-lead efforts to support the 30+ Strategic Initiatives in the strategic plan. Collaborate with Initiative Owners to establish realistic goals, budgets and schedules to meet the challenging objectives for the initiatives that have all experienced significant reductions in their budgets. Provide project management expertise and guidance to ensure initiative teams successfully achieve their objectives on-time and within budget. Develop and implement effective methods to gather status and report progress to internal and external stakeholders.
- Participate in efforts to develop plans for the COVID-19 Test All Test Smart program which involves very complex operational and logistical challenges in a highly turbulent environment. The plans are based on the dynamic requirements established by national agencies and university leadership and must be agile in order to respond to the constant expansion of the understanding of the disease as well as critical university, county, state and national COVID-19 prevalence and incidence data.
- Support the rapid and efficient implementation of the COVID-19 testing program to allow the campus to remain open and operational in a time when many universities have elected to adopt a fully online education and work from home strategy. Collaborate with UArizona colleagues to meet the extremely challenging goal to implement, adapt and sustain the COVID-19 testing program and other university-wide programs as needed. Frequently negotiate and compromise to influence internal and external parties who may have conflicting objectives, practices and approaches that are of strategic importance to the university.
- Communicate essential information about the implementation of plans and results of programs to support the needs of executive leadership and the campus community. Collaborate with individuals and groups across the institution and externally, to understand perspectives, affect change, negotiate and engage multiple constituents.
- Oversee financial aspects of the strategic initiatives and ensure that Business Affairs has sufficient information to manage the strategic plan budget and planning during these difficult financial times. Contribute to efforts to obtain reimbursements for the costs associated with the university's efforts to combat COVID-19. Identify ways to minimize costs while achieving university goals by monitoring spending and identifying opportunities to improve operational efficiencies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Judgment and ability to distil insights from multiple sources of information into an executive-level overview
- Problem-solving skills and ability to help others organize problem solving
- Serve as the primary source of information for project stakeholders
- Project management experience, preferably with an organizational metrics component
- Ability to influence others, even without direct management responsibility
- Analytical orientation, with an ability to understand inputs to metrics and set realistic targets within the organization
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience that includes managing projects or initiatives, OR any equivalent combination of education and advanced learning attained through professional level experience.
- MBA or M.S. preferred
- Experience with UA Analytics and University of Arizona Institutional Research (UAIR)
- Experience with strategy management platforms that support transformation by tracking initiatives, measuring their impact, driving accountability, and sustaining results
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
To be DeterminedNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
.7 - 1.0Work Calendar:
Organizational AdministrationBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
$66K - $70KCompensation Type:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Grade:
9Career Stream and Level:
Project MgmtJob Function:
Organizational AdministrationType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
1/25/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
1/7/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.