Barton College invites applications and referrals for the Controller position in the Administration and Finance division. The Controller reports directly to the Vice President for Administration and Finance/CFO.Job Summary and Essential Functions
- Serve as the Chief Accounting Officer for the College.
- Provide active day-to-day supervision of staff in accounting, accounts payable, purchasing, and auxiliary enterprises. Contribute to the staff’s professional development.
- Establish and maintain a sound system of internal controls and segregation of duties.
- Hold direct responsibility for scheduling and managing annual audits. Participate with the CFO in meeting with the Audit Committee and Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Prepare strategic financial analysis as requested by the CFO and Senior Staff.
- Prepare and maintain accurate interim and annual financial reports for internal and external constituents of the College.
- Maintain the general ledger and provide leadership in improvements in the accounting information systems, working closely with the Technology Services Department.
- Manage business-related policies including recommending new policies and revisions to existing policies.
- Oversee records retention for business-related records.
- Manage accounting for all funds of the College.
- Administer control of College property and inventory functions. Maintain fixed asset records.
- Perform other College-related duties as may be required by the CFO.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, or a master’s degree in business or accounting (preferred).
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or other relevant professional certifications.
- Three or more years of supervisory experience.
- Excellent communication and management skills.
- Advanced computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office and ERP systems for comparably sized or larger institutions.
- Thorough knowledge of the operations, functions, and scope of authority common in business affairs for colleges or similar organizations.
- Ability to organize, manage, and be highly productive to meet deadlines and to work cooperatively with faculty, staff, and students.
- Experience in higher education institutions; large, nonprofit organizations; or similar institutions.
Please submit application materials including a letter of interest, current resume, and contact information for at least three professional references (all documents should be MS Word or PDF format) to Human Resources at [email protected]. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Barton College is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body and welcomes all applicants. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Any claims of discrimination for Title IX or otherwise should be directed to our Title IX Coordinator, Victoria A. Morris, at P.O. Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893, or at 252-399-6330 or [email protected].