Assoc. Athletic Trainer
Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-01-06
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
- Implements patient care by continuously practicing within the guidelines of policies and procedures.
- Performs accuracy in medication preparation as directed by physician.
- Demonstrates accurate and descriptive clinical documentation using appropriate UChart note format, as evidenced by documentation review.
- Demonstrates knowledge of medical records, authorization forms, and laboratory requisitions legibly and concisely.
- Assists surgeon during outpatient procedure.
- Demonstrates knowledge of disease process and therapeutics, as evidenced by: Recognizes changes in patient status and reports pertinent information to Physician.
- Recognizes and follows through appropriately with clinical intervention.
- Establishes priorities, assesses workload and determines order of importance on a daily basis with minimal guidance required.
- Obtains miscellaneous specimens and prepares them for laboratory testing. Obtains and files laboratory reports as needed.
- Answers phone in an appropriate and professional manner.
- Takes accurate messages and promptly relays messages to appropriate individuals. Takes messages for prescription refills.
- Under the direction of the physicians, phones pharmacy with prescription refills and record prescription in file
- Presents case to the physician's assistant, fellow, or attending.
- Reviews diagnostic tests, such as x-ray, MRI, CT scan.
- Removes sutures/staples and provides wound care in the ambulatory setting.
- Assists with sterile prepping for aspirations and injections in the ambulatory setting.
- Evaluates and creates post-surgical rehabilitation protocol for acute and chronic injurie
- Assists with post-surgical rehabilitation.
- Educates patient on home and gym therapeutic exercises, gait training, and fitting of durable medical equipment.
- Develops new methods of educating patients to ensure care given adheres to the latest standards.
- Educates patient and/or family regarding disability, treatment program, and goals established.
- Calls patients to inform them of their diagnostic test results, answers patient questions following surgical procedure.
- Administers treatment in a safe and effective manner utilizing therapeutic exercise, physical agents, and functional training in accordance with the treatment plan and goals established by the physician.
- Manages supply inventory and assist with stocking exam/ cast rooms.
- Ensures that equipment is in safe working order.
- Measures, applies, changes and removes casts, braces and splints for patients.
- Repairs casts.
- Assists with education of student-athletes on proper nutritional habits, specifically post-surgical.
- Coordinates and assists in discharge planning, outpatient physical therapy appointments and arrangement of delivery of durable medical equipment for post-op inpatients, review discharge and post-op instructions with patients and family.
- Communicates with physicians, PA's and/ or physical therapist regarding patient status changes, nonresponse to treatment plan and program changes.
- Participates in orientation process for new staff members.
- Provides one or more in-services per year to educate staff on new techniques and developments in specialty area.
- Attends continuing education programs outside the department to maintain state-of-the art knowledge of Physical Therapy skills and current activity in the profession
- Other duties as assigned.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
Bachelor’s Degree- required, Master’s Degree- preferred
Certification and Licensing:
Athletic Trainer Certification
Two or more years of relevant experience
Department Specific Functions
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c105