SURGICAL ATTENDANT DUKE AMBULATORY SURGERY CENTER
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet® organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognizedeach year as North Carolina’s Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
Perform a variety of technical, environmental, and patient care duties under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse.
Shift: Hours after orientation: (5) 8 hour days from 6:30 AM to 3:15 PM, Mon-Fri, with one to two late days per week.
- Transfer and/or assist patients during transport
- Communicate and respond to patient needs promptly
- Keep charge nurse informed of room status and attendant availability
- Assist in the orientation of new staff as requested by nurse manager or designee
- Provide emergency assistance as required
- Transport specimen, equipment, etc. to appropriate area
- Deliver exceptional patient care
- Successfully complete annual self-instructional unit regarding age-appropriate care for the infant, toddler, child, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients
- Prepare the unit for cases/ procedures utilizing functional equipment and supplies
- Assist with positioning and preparation of patients for surgical procedures
- Assist with wraps, casts, and dressings
- Route non- functional equipment to proper maintenance department for repair, noting the malfunction on the equipment
- Assist in minor maintenance functions (i.e. replace lightbulbs in power sources and surgical lights)
- Set up and troubleshoot all equipment in service line
- Accurately and safely use all patient positioning devices and tables
- Clean equipment, tables and floor as required with proper cleaning solution
- Collect, bag and remove soiled linen and trash properly
- Replace suction liners, trash bags and other supplies as needed
- Return cleaned equipment to appropriate area after the case
- Stock and maintain adequate levels of supplies at scrub sink and sub rooms as appropriate
- Maintain orderly work environment by keeping operating rooms, storage areas, hallways and all units clean, tidy and hazard-free
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Mechanical knowledge for assembly of equipment
- Ability to comprehend and follow instructions.
- Knowledge of sterile techniques
- Heavy lifting, prolonged sitting, standing, and walking, ability to push, pull, climb, stoop/kneel, reach overhead and rotate trunk for prolonged periods
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.