Job Title: Graphic Designer
Location: Marketing Department
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605170
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
For consideration, please submit a link or PDF of your portfolio with your application and resume.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
This position reports to University Marketing and supports the graphic design needs for the university. The level of work performed is complex and requires specialized knowledge of methods, techniques, and software used in graphic design. The successful candidate will assist with creating design solutions that have a high visual impact and that reach a wide range of key university audiences.
Reporting to the Design Manager and working as part of a highly collaborative team, the Graphic Designer will play an active role, through the following activities, in furthering the university’s mission:
- Works independently within established NAU brand guidelines and standards, as well as departmental procedure requirements to meet project deadlines.
- Prepares a variety of skilled graphic designs for print and digital media, including postcards, fliers, posters, displays, product packaging, brochures, annual reports, advertisements, and other university publications and materials.
- Is skilled and experienced in working with both pre-press (printing) specifications and digital design requirements
- Prepares hard copy mock-ups for internal and client review.
- Provides photo direction as needed for projects.
- Confers with University Marketing team members, Printing Services, other university staff, and vendors regarding project specifications such as paper stock, graphic content, layout, and media requirements; creates composites and develops concepts depending on needs.
- Writes project specifications for jobs assigned to outside vendors; coordinates production of material with outside vendors by monitoring jobs in progress, resolving technical problems, proofing material and ensuring deadlines are met.
- Routinely uses the WorkFront department project management software system to track and report project statuses and updates, upload and collaborate on design proofs, manage workload and resolve issues.
- Proofs typesetting and printing for adherence to specifications; determines if quality standards have been met.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment.
- Maintains technical knowledge and stays abreast of emerging technologies, methods, software, and design trends.
- Is well versed in the utilization of industry related software applications.
- Works to archive work product files of completed and other assignments.
- Maintains accurate records of work in progress for department records.
- Associate's degree in Graphic Design or related field AND two-year experience in graphic design; OR,
- Four-year experience in graphic design; OR,
- Any equivalent combination experience, training and/or education.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge and skill of methods, techniques, and practices of graphic design and visual communication.
- Knowledge and skill of digital marketing materials and traditional print designs
- Knowledge of industry related software applications such as Adobe Creative Cloud suite of products (to include InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and other related applications).
- Knowledge of typography and text layout.
- Knowledge of photography and photo editing/retouching and working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop.
- Knowledge and experience working within the Apple Macintosh computer platform and operating system.
- Experience working within established institutional brands and related brand standards.
- Experience developing marketing collateral with an emphasis on working with diverse audiences and spanning across a variety of media.
- Proven success in working in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service and desire to support the success of our students.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks in a timely fashion.
- Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
The budgeted salary amount is $36,000 - $45,000.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
Open until further notice.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.