Certified Medical Assistant - Bilingual, (Family Medicine in Hammonton Office)
Job no: 494917
Work type: Regular full time
Location: Hammonton, New Jersey
Certified Medical Assistant - Bilingual in Spanish and English
School of Osteopathic Medicine - Hammonton, NJ
SUMMARY: Performs medical, clerical and reception duties to support the physician in the examination and treatment of patients in an outpatient setting. Performs duties in support of the University's and the school's mission and in accordance with the all applicable policies and procedures. As directed by physician, administers vaccinations and intramuscular and subcutaneous injections, which may be delegated under State Regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Checks patients in and out through billing system.
- Verifies demographics and insurance information and updates in billing system.
- Verifies patient's insurance through insurance lists and/or via insurance websites.
- Collects appropriate co-pays from patients.
- Retrieves referrals for appropriate visits and enters into billing system.
- Completes batches as scheduled and prepares the deposit for pickup.
- Answers the telephone with a pleasant and helpful demeanor.
- Schedules patient appointments through billing system to maximize use of physician and staff time.
- Triages messages and provides assistance to patients and/or parents/guardians within scope of training and experience. Routes other calls to appropriate personnel, i.e., clinical staff, physician, etc. Directs calls that require immediate attention to the appropriate person.
- Inputs messages into EMR system, as appropriate.
- Signs in and out to the answering service daily as directed.
- Arranges for patient care services at other facilities, including surgeries, preadmission testing, etc.
- Calls for pre-authorizations and pre-certifications as required by the patient's insurer.
- Coordinates requests for prescriptions from patients, provides chart to physician, telephones prescriptions at the direction of the physicians, and makes notation in the patient chart with date and signature.
- Completes insurance referrals (paper and/or electronic).
- Completes or prepares reports and copies of chart for outside agencies. Maintains orderly filing system.
- Files all appropriate correspondence and patient related information. Maintains patient charts so that they are current, accurate, and organized. Prepares charts for new patients.
- Scans patient information into the EMR. Handles incoming and outgoing mail.
- Maintains inventory of front office supplies and medical supplies and notifies supervisor when supplies need to be ordered.
- Pulls patient charts for next day and prepares chart. Maintains a professional and orderly office appearance.
- Opens and closes offices as assigned by supervisor. Activates and deactivates security system as assigned by supervisor.
- Performs light typing as needed.
Prepares patients for visits including:
- Putting patient in exam room
- Taking history and chief complaint
- Taking vitals including height, weight, blood pressure and pulse
- Performs diagnostic tests per physicians' standing orders; EKG, Blood work, Vision and hearing screening, Urine dip, PFT's
- Assures patient's outside testing results are in the chart for physician review with patient.
Documents clinical information in chart or EMR system. Prepares exam room for tests and procedures including:
- Removal of dressings
- Wound cleansing
- Removal of staples/sutures
- GYN exam
Assists physician with patient care and chaperoning, as required. Prepares medications for injections given by doctor.
Maintains stock of medications.
Provides clinical care in accordance with training and under supervisor's direction:
- Laboratory tests
- Vision screening
- Phlebotomy and processing of specimens
- Allergy Screening
- As directed by physician, administers vaccinations and intramuscular and subcutaneous injections, which may be delegated under State Regulations. Must be familiar with vaccine's purpose, dosage, and major side effects.
Stocks exam rooms.
Cleans room after each patient and prepares room for next patient.
Notifies supervisor to order clinical supplies including injectables and vaccines, as needed.
Maintains and cleans office medical equipment as required. Sterilizes instruments as required.
- Always treats others with compassion, dignity and respect.
- Maintains a customer-focused approach to all responsibilities.
- Attends all mandatory in service and trainings as directed.
- Maintains competence in all applicable office computer systems.
- Supports and adheres to the University policies regarding HIPPA and confidentiality.
- Assists with the orientation and training of new employees as requested.
- Understands and adheres to SOM's compliance standards as they appear in SOM's Corporate Compliance Policy, Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Graduate of a post-secondary medical assisting education program accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Current certification from the Certifying Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), or registration from the American Medical Technologist (AMT), or the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT), or the National Health career Association or any recognized certifying body approved by the Board. Applicants may be licensed in the State of New Jersey in another classification permitted by regulations to give intramuscular and subcutaneous injections. Must have attained a satisfactory level of comprehension and experience in the administration of intramuscular and subcutaneous injection techniques. At least one (1) year of pediatric experience in a medical office setting is preferred. Proficiency in phlebotomy techniques required. Must have working knowledge of medical terminology. The ability to work independently, excellent communication skills, organizational skills, and flexibility required.
SPECIAL SKILL: Applicants must be able to read, write, speak, understand, or communicate in Spanish and English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position.
PHYSICIAL DEMANDS: Must be able to stand and sit for long periods of time. Must be able to manipulate medical supplies and equipment. Must be able to communicate well with internal and external customers, often under stressful circumstances.Only completed, online applications submitted on or before the deadline will be considered.
Advertised: Jan 6 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Jan 21 2021 11:55 PM Eastern Standard Time