Full Time Veterinary Assistant
Job location: Ryan Veterinary Hospital
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-01-06
University OverviewThe University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job TitleFull Time Veterinary AssistantJob Profile TitleVeterinary Nurse Assistant AJob Description SummaryVeterinary Nurse Assistant A
Assist Veterinary Nurses with room organization and patient care during mid shift, overnights and weekends.Job Description
Veterinary Nurse Assistant A- Level 1
- Supply Stocking
- Cage set up/breakdown
- Make heparinized flushes
- Cleaning medical equipment (alcohol wipes only; no Rescue)
- Pharmacy, Clinical Lab runs
- Walking patients in appropriate areas, double-leashed
- Proper labeling and transport of deceased patients to appropriate cooler
- Patient restraint
- Proper handling and running of Nova samples, PCV/TP, blood smears, glucometer, and Idexx tests. Bloodwork must always be checked with a nurse after being analyzed.
- Prime fluid bags on a cassette. Cannot set up fluid pumps.
- Anticipate nurses needs. This includes setting up for an IV catheter, blocked cat set up. Talk with the nurse on duty about their expectations.
- Assist nurses with patients triaged to the treatment area that need immediate care.
- Assist with discharge of outpatients once properly trained.
- ANY changes/abnormalities/questions on patient status must be brought to attention of nurse.
Veterinary Nurse Assistant B-Level 2
Nursing assistants that have previous veterinary experience or have been a Level 1 NA for one year.
Your responsibilities include:
Room organization duties, level 1 responsibilities and some supervised medical treatments on stable patients only. (Listed below) You may assist a nurse with an unstable patient.
You may need to work in any of the 24/7 nursing areas during busy times. (ES, ICU, Wards)
- Become familiar with normal and abnormal physical parameters including mucous membranes, capillary refill time, pulses, heart rate, respiratory rate and effort, and lung sounds
- Feel comfortable with all monitoring equipment including normal results for the pulse oximeter, ECG set up, doppler/Cardell.
- Focus on anticipating nurse’s needs. This includes setting up for an IV catheter, blocked cat set up, fluid bag set up, etc…
- All treatments/findings must be checked and approved by nurse on duty.
- May perform treatments on stable patients under direct nurse supervision:
- TPR, ECG, Doppler, connect/disconnect IVF
- Prime IVF bags (cannot start infusions)
- No medication administration
Physical Requirements: Ability to stand, kneel, bend, reach for prolonged periods of time.
Must be able to lift >25 pounds with minimal assistance.Job Location - City, StatePhiladelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / SchoolSchool of Veterinary MedicinePay Range$15.00 - $23.25Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.