Position DetailsReq ID:req8796Position Title:Security OfficerPosition Type:Staff Full-TimeOSU Campus:SecurityDepartment:SecurityLocation Address:
900 N Portland
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 73107
United States Hiring Supervisor and Contact Info:Darvin GoreHiring Range:
(Contingent upon available funding):11.38 - 11.38, Hourly Work Schedule:Varies, including some evenings, weekends and holidaysJob Summary:
Job Functions:Responsible for the protection of this facility againstfire, theft, hazardous conditions and illegal or unauthorized entry toOSU-OKC. Monitors radio transmissionsand responds to assigned calls and emergency calls for service. Performs vehicle and foot patrols which areessential to students, visitors, employees, and for physical safety andsecurity.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides customer service and assistance as needed.Must wear issued uniform, uniform articles and uniform accessories. Officers are responsible for buying and maintaining other uniform, uniform articles and uniform accessories as required by the department. Sufficient quantities of uniform items shall be procured and maintained in order to assure the highest possible standard of personal hygiene and appearance. Participates with team members both in the department and the University to set and attain established goals and objectives. Responds appropriately to new and different situations by using creativity, innovation and initiative to solutions to problems. Conforms to all OSU System, city, state and federal laws and regulations. Provides clear and concise staff reports for managerial/Administrative action. Keeps supervisor informed of concerns. Able to respond quickly in emergency situations. Takes appropriate action when needed, in the event of an emergency, to handle incidents/situations effectively and professionally and coordinates with Administration in the event of a crisis.Patrols campus building and parking lots, by foot and vehicle. Checks doors, windows and other areas to ensure they are accessible or properly secured. Adheres to instructions concerning all opening and closing of classrooms, buildings, events or other functions that would have an impact on the campus. Acts as liaison between law enforcement agencies and OSU-OKC as necessary.Evaluates condition of all parking areas, to include outdoor lighting, and makes recommendations concerning any maintenance and repairs required.Ensures that fleet vehicles are properly secured. Assists in maintenance, safety and cleanliness of vehicles.Assists Safety Coordinator with health and safety to eliminate unsafe and unhealthy working conditions.Assists in the safety of the campus to include checking utilities, mechanical, electrical and storage areas for unusual or situations. Attends required in-service and other training programs as required regardless of shift hours.Attend all mandatory training plus the minimum of two professional development per year.Performs additional duties as assigned.
The duties listed in this job description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the positionSpecial Instructions to ApplicantsResume and cover letter are required for full considerationCopies of all current certifications are required upon hiring. This is a 32 hour/week positionEducation & ExperiencePosition Qualifications:Work Experience:
One year responsible work experience
- High school diploma or equivalencyMust maintain 16 hours of continuing education after hireCurrent, licensed unarmed security guard from the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training (CLEET)Must maintain required hours of CLEET approved courses per yearValid Oklahoma drivers’ license; good driving record
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent ability to verbalize instructions, directions or other types of communication to a diverse population of staff, faculty, students visitors to campus.Must be fluent in English, both orally and in writing.Strong attention to detail to detect irregularities and change of environmentStrong ability to calmly handle and/or diffuse chaotic or hostile situations Ability to use radio to receive and dispatch emergency information.Must be able to evaluate safety requirements for the health and safety of all faculty, staff students on campus. Mature and professional demeanor Must continuously demonstrate a professional and courteous disposition toward students, visitors, and employees. Patience, tack good judgment are mandatory requirements for this position.Passion for assisting students/staff and representing the OSU brand with positivity and professionalism Evidences a history of demonstrating ethical and professional behavior
- Associate degree in police science, occupational/environmental safety or a related field.
Previous experience as a security guard/officer or related safety field.
Experience working in an educational environment.
- Will work irregular hours and/or shifts, including evenings, weekends & holidays.May be exposed to extreme weather conditions.Must wear issued uniform, uniform articles uniform accessories. Must present a clean, professional uniform appearance normal and acceptable standards of personal hygiene.
- Physical and mental stamina to perform the essential job functions.May need to lift up to 45 pounds. If an object weighs more than 45 pounds, OSU-Oklahoma City requires this to be a lift. Extensive standing and/or walking; Occasional bending/stooping, squatting/ crouching and pushing/pulling; Manual dexterity/visual ability to operate vehicle, computer and radio. Repetitive movement of hand/wrist.
SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENTAL:
Safety is the responsibility of every employee, therefore all employees will be trained to perform work safely. The OSU-OKC complies with OSHA in all respects, including Hazardous Communications and Blood-borne Pathogen training requirements. This position, may on occasion, be in a potential exposure situation. Ability to successfully pass annual Hazardous Communications, Blood-borne and other departmentally specified safety training is a requirement of this position.
- Universal precautions are required and followed in departmental work. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required to be used as the situation dictates. Hepatitis B vaccinations and other Hepatitis vaccines are available to protect employees.
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
#ZROklahoma State University (OSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, OSU conducts pre-employment background checks on final candidates. Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.