Systems Administrator-DType of Employment:
Regular Full-TimeWork Location:
12 MonthsPosition Type:
Staff - Exempt(Monthly)Department:
Systems AdministrationSummary of Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsible for selection, provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of hardware, software, and related infrastructure. Ensures that these systems and related procedures adhere to published standards, and provides support to production and developmental users through programming and debugging assistance.
• Installs and maintains physical and/or virtual host systems and related support software including system generation and incorporation of vendor provided system updates under the supervision of, and as directed by, the manager.
• Participates in the physical installation of equipment in the data centers.
• Participates in the physical care of server equipment in the data centers.
• Management of cloud-based Enterprise Authentication Services.
• Management of Enterprise Active Directory services.
• Provides technical advice and guidance to users of the guest operating systems (Linux and/or Windows), specialized software routines and utilities.
• Applies diagnostic and troubleshooting techniques to ensure system stability.
• Serves as a point of contact for various application vendors whose applications the university has licensed.
• Provides hardware/software technical support for client/server application systems.
• Installs application software on servers, as needed.
• Monitors, downloads and applies operating system and application upgrades, updates and fixes for various applications, first to the test environment, and then to production after testing is completed.
• Takes ownership of and improves internal processes related to the administration of operating systems and applications supported including quality assurance guidelines.
• Monitors application(s) and services provided by those operating system and applications using application vendor and/or Linux/Windows tools.
• Provides off-hours and weekend support for migrations, updates, fixes and issues as needed.
• Assists in determining operation system security guidelines, strategy and application of such.
• Monitors and addresses performance issues.
• Provides technical assistance and consulting to functional areas on problems that are server-side related.
• Documents system proposals, outlining problems, alternatives and recommendations.
• Recommends solutions based on performance, cost, scheduling, time and benefits.
• Maintains installation documentation.
• Maintains documentation on installations of various host and guest systems.
• Creates documentation and check lists for internal processes that can be easily understood by another team member.
• Adheres to published standards and procedures, such as naming conventions, security, programming conventions, code walkthrough, testing conventions and migration processes.
• Participates in disaster recovery and business continuity planning.
• Collaborates with networking and storage administrators to ensure solution readiness/feasibility.
• Determines suitability for applications running in a virtualized environment.
• Migrates modifications made by developers to different environments.
• Provides end user support when needed or requested. Performs P2Vs as needed.
• Bachelor’s Degree required. Degree in computer-related field preferred.Minimum Experience and Skill Requirements:
• 1 year experience as a Windows and/or Linux Systems administrator, plus 1 year experience as a virtual systems Administrator.
• Ability to work in a team oriented environment a must.
• Excellent writing, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
• May need to lift heavy objects.
01/26/2021Open Until Filled:
NoSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Along with the application, the following items must be included:
• Letter of application