RN Clinical Manager
Job no: 507034
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Nursing Services
Categories: Health & Medical Services
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the general direction of the Associate Director University Health Services (UHS), Clinical Operations and in collaboration with other RNs and facility supervisors, is responsible for the day-to-day operation, supervision and coordination of the UHS clinics. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: fiscal considerations, staff coordination, staff development, staff competencies, staff hiring and evaluation, equipment management and progressive discipline.
- Supervises overall operations of the clinics, including patient care, patient flow and staff coordination through collaboration with other RNs and facility supervisors.
- Identifies needs and develops new policies, systems, procedures, guidelines and standards. Communicates new information with staff. Adheres to policies and procedures of UHS.
- Directly supervises RNs, LPNs, CMAs, receptionists and student employees. Is actively involved in the hiring process and provides orientation for new employees in addition to on-going staff development and annual competency assessment.
- Creates agendas, coordinates and participates in nursing and departmental meetings, as well as in facility and community committees and task forces. Is actively involved in emergency preparedness efforts for UHS and the campus. Collaborates with Campus Medical Reserve Corp (MRC).
- Develops and coordinates programs of quality improvement, peer review, annual competency evaluation and continuing education.
- Participates in community outreach by working with local nursing and medical assistant programs utilizing UHS as a clinical site and acting as a facility liaison.
- Maintains a working knowledge of medical equipment, including emergency equipment. Responsible for equipment and supplies in the outpatient area, identifying needs, ordering, and reporting and follow-up on repairs and replacement equipment.
- Acquires and maintains current knowledge in nursing practice, including a working knowledge of emergency care. Considers factors relating to safety, effectiveness and cost in planning and delivering patient care. Uses Universal Precautions.
- Responsible for patient education such as prevention, healthy lifestyle promotion, age appropriate health concerns and appropriate use and access of medical services.
- Participates in RN clinical rotations.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a multi-cultural environment. Promotes a harmonious work environment by interacting respectfully with co-workers and patients. Supports and promotes excellence in customer relations.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Graduate of accredited BSN degree program or extensive relevant education may substitute for part or all of the Bachelor’s degree.
- Current license to practice professional nursing in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Five years of progressively responsible general nursing experience, including two years of supervisory responsibility.
- Critical thinking skills, communication skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment.
- Certified in basic CPR, annually renewed.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Ability to lift and transfer patients.
Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5pm, some evening, weekend & holiday coverage required.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please include a resume, cover letter, and the names & contact information for three professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jan 4 2021 Eastern Standard Time