Instructions to applicants:
Student must be work-study eligible.Job Title:
Academic Center for ExcellencePosting Date:
7.25 per hour up to 15 hours per weekRequired:
-Must interview with the Tutor Coordinator.
-Math tutors must have completed MATH 1314, MATH 1332, and/or MATH 1342 with a grade of “A” or “B.”
-English tutors must have completed ENG 1302 with a grade of “A” or “B.”
-Must have a referral from a professor.
-Must pass the diagnostic test for either Math and/or Writing.
-Have passed all sections of the Texas Higher Education Assessment (THEA) or TSIA.
Bilingual in English and Spanish.Staffing Reason:
Work StudyPrimary Responsibilities:
1. Duties: Maintain a 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) overall.
2. Complete the initial and on-going training programs working toward Level 1 CRLA Certification by the end of the
tutor’s first semester.
3. Read and following guidelines established in the handbook.
4. Become familiar with all services of the Tutoring and Learning Center (TLC) and related services of other offices in
order to make appropriate student referrals.
5. Tutor students individual or in group settings.
6. Establish rapport with students and work to give SRSU a friendly, helpful atmosphere.
7. Continually identify the individual needs of students who request assistance and help those students obtain the
necessary help in our department or elsewhere on campus.
8. Encourage and motivate students to improve their attitudes about college and studying.
9. Establish communications with instructors of students as needed.
10. Read and comply with administrative policies and responding to questionnaires when requested.
11. Help to maintain and retain reference and instructional materials.
12. Adhere to a predetermined work schedule, keep accurate records of hours worked and student contacts, give as
much notice as possible for unavoidable absences, and be punctual in all matters.
13. Complete specifically assigned projects, jobs, or tasks.
14. Complete the forms necessary for program evaluation
15. Meet with supervisors as scheduled.
16. Keeping accurate records of assistance completed
17. Perform other duties as required.
For more information contact: Mabel Garcia at 837-8626 or [email protected]
This position is Security Sensitive.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
It is the policy of Sul Ross State University to provide equal employment opportunity for all persons in accordance with their individual, job related qualifications and without consideration of race, creed, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or ancestry. Equal employment opportunities shall be afforded in all personnel actions or decisions including but not necessarily limited to, recruitment, hiring, training, upgrading, promotion, demotion, termination, and salary. Retaliation is prohibited against a person who opposes a discriminatory practice, files a charge, testifies, assists or participates in an investigative proceeding or hearing.