Senior Network Engineer
Hofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized private university in Hempstead, N.Y. that is the only school to ever host three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012 and 2016). At Hofstra, students get the best of both worlds. Our campus is a leafy oasis just a quick train ride away from New York City and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, with the resources, technology and facilities of a large university. Students can choose from more than 160 undergraduate program options and 165 graduate program options in the liberal arts and sciences, education, health professions and human services, the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs, the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, and the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Hofstra University is a dynamic community of more than 11,000 students from around the world who are dedicated to civic engagement, academic excellence and becoming leaders in their communities and their careers.
The Senior Network Engineer's (SNE) primary function is to work as a member of the networking team to design, configure, troubleshoot and maintain the network infrastructure. This position contributes to the efforts of safeguarding the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the University’s infrastructure and information assets.
The SNE also supports the evaluation of strategic networking technologies for technical performance, efficiency and reliability. The SNE oversees the work of vendors and partners, works with other members of the ITS teams to ensure that production integrations are completed proficiently. This includes existing and innovative networking technology deployments which attain quality performance and reliability standards. And the SNE provides support by determining the best practice implementations for the University’s networking infrastructure and developing technologies. This is an onsite position; work for this role is performed on campus.
Responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
• Designs, plans, implements and supports the University’s networking infrastructure.
• Implements and manages firewall policies, DNS and DHCP services and configuring QoS for VoIP.
• Supports the high density/high volume wireless deployment.
• Researches emerging technologies in support of infrastructure efforts and recommend technologies that will foster infrastructure adaptability.
• Serves as technical, engineering subject matter resource for datacenter networking and software defined networking (SDN) technology validations, prototyping, standardizing and solutioning.
• Manages, monitors and troubleshoots the network infrastructure performance throughout the project implementation and change management processes, and identify recommended tools that provide insight into the performance of the network.
• Participates in business requirement gathering sessions, collects user data requirements, and assists in the identification of technical and business infrastructure solutions. Provides guidance, best practices, and other assistance to ITS and University teams about network infrastructure options.
• Works across teams and external groups to develop strategy, design solutions, and advise implementation teams during deployment. Analyze business requirements and translate them into actionable technical requirements.
• Builds and maintains technical relationships within the organization and technology providers by facilitating technology discussions, and aligning solutions with requirements for vendor evaluations and PoCs.
• Establishes standards for fully functional virtual network environments in cloud platforms for testing, continuous integration and continuous delivery.
• Bachelor’s degree required; engineering, computer science or a related field preferred.
• One or more industry leading certifications preferred.
• 7+ years in IT infrastructure experience with network engineering, architecture.
• 3+ years of experience implementing complex technology projects successfully through completion.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, exercising strong organizational skills with an exceptional attention to detail.
• Working knowledge of SSL/IPSec/Cryptographic technologies
• Highly Proficient with DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP, SIP, Wireless, RFC, and ISO standards, etc.
• Networking routing and switching certifications for example CCNA
• Firewall industry certifications
• DNS/DHCP/IPAM Certifications
For consideration, please send your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: [email protected] Please indicate "Senior Network Engineer" in the subject line.
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.