Assistant/Associate/Full Professor (T/TE) Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering (UPDATED)
Aerospace & Mechanical EngrDepartment Website Link:
1130 N. Mountain Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85721 USAPosition Highlights:
Please note: the target hire date has been updated to 8/16/2021.
The Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Department (AME) at The University of Arizona invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor level in the area of Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) with an emphasis in control systems and autonomous aerospace and mechanical systems.
The successful candidate is expected to establish an active, externally funded and nationally/internationally recognized research program that is aligned with Grand Challenges of the University of Arizona’s new strategic plan, including intelligent systems, network science, and space technologies. The leveraging of opportunities for synergy with existing research activities in the department, College and the University, as well as an experimental component to the research program, will be viewed favorably.
The Department offers excellent opportunities to collaborate with ongoing related research efforts in aerodynamics (including hypersonics), control systems, unmanned aerial vehicles, and spacecraft GNC, micro-technology, rocket and space engineering, as well as other ongoing research efforts in astrodynamics, vibrations, CFD, computational optimization of engineering design, fluid instability, and multi-scale mechanics of materials, and robotics.
Further opportunities for collaboration on campus include the Department of Planetary Sciences, the Arizona Health Sciences Center, and the Bio5 Institute for Collaborative Bioresearch, the College of Optical Sciences and the Program in Applied Mathematics, all of which enjoy international recognition as centers for world-class academic programs and research.Duties & Responsibilities:
- The AME department seeks to hire anAssistant, Associate or Full Professor with research interest that includeautonomous aerospace vehicles and automation, robotics, guidance and navigationwith machine learning and artificial intelligence incorporated in,cooperative/networked control, distributed sensing and estimation, perception,vision-based navigation, inference and motion planning.
- Faculty member will teach courses at the graduate and undergraduate levels and contribute to mentoring students, including those from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Teach and developspecific courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels and to establish anactive, externally funded research program.
- Excellence in undergraduate and graduateteaching is expected for senior candidates, and a willingness to excel atundergraduate and graduate teaching is expected at the assistant level.
- Faculty participate in outreach and contribute to departmental, college,and university service. Faculty also helps to develop innovative approaches toenhance student engagement, increase diversity, and expand collaborations withcommunity and business partners.
- Ph.D. degree in Aerospace orMechanical Engineering or a closely related discipline.
- Demonstrated research potential or accomplishments.
- Experience teaching and mentoring of students.
- Research experience
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications.
- The selected candidate will be required to provide higher education credentials during the offer discussions.
- Previous teaching experience.
- Strong track record of peer-reviewed publications.
- Evidence of interdisciplinary collaborations are preferred.
- Experience with robotic control.
- Experience with real-time algorithm development,
- Experience with flight dynamics,
- Experience with control of aerospace vehicles.
- Experience in experimental implementation.
To be DeterminedTenure Information:
Tenure Track (T/TE)FLSA:
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Type of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
8/16/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Nancy Preble, [email protected] 520.626.8741Open Date:
1/5/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Curriculum Vitae (CV), Cover Letter, and Three Additional DocumentsSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
Please include the following in your application materials: Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, Statement of Research Interests, Statement of Teaching Interests, Contact information of three professional references (phone and email)Diversity Statement:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.