Safety and Security Officer
Safety and Security OfficerType of Position:
The Safety and Security Officer is responsible to the Safety and Security Coordinator and the Executive Director of College Affairs at Lamar State College Orange (LSCO) for security of all campus parking lots, buildings and facilities. Duties and responsibilities shall include, but not be limited to the following:
1. Observe that all windows and doors for all buildings are properly secured and the alarm systems are activated and working properly at night.
2. Prevent the admittance of unauthorized persons on campus and into all buildings and insure a safe, secure environment at all times.
3. Inspect premises at night to assure they have been vacated and secured.
4. Check the parking lots throughout all shifts for any and all safety concerns, criminal activity and/or parking violations.
5. Escort LSCO employees and students to their cars when requested.
6. Assist students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors who have car trouble (i.e., keys locked in car, flat tires, dead battery, etc.).
7. Complete theft reports on all property reported stolen from LSCO or from students, faculty, staff, or visitors while on LSCO grounds.
8. Supervise auxiliary security personnel.
9. Provide security for various college clubs and organizations during special functions.
10. Provide security for the Cashier’s Office during registration.
11. Transport funds for the cafeteria service and the LSCO Print Shop to the Cashier’s Office as needed.
12. Meet yearly requirements necessary to pass testing and qualify as a standard security officer.
13. Insure that all college vehicles are secure at night before leaving campus.
14. Maintain a pleasant relationship and standard of excellence when dealing with campus staff, faculty, students, and visitors.
15. Assist with maintenance responsibilities when necessary. Some maintenance duties may be assigned on Saturday as well as serving as Safety and Security Officer.
16. Report and maintain records of reports, requests and calls during security shifts and maintain a daily log.
17. Serve on the Safety, Security, IT, and Risk Management Committee and perform building safety inspections and other duties as assigned in order to ensure a safe campus.
18. Perform other related duties as may be determined by the Safety and Security Coordinator and LSCO Administration.Qualifications:
Graduation from a standard senior high school or the equivalent.
Should have experience in a related field.
Must be computer literate. Must be able to write clearly and be proficient in oral communication. Must have excellent interpersonal skills. Working knowledge of the buildings and grounds patrolled; of the rules and regulations pertaining to access, and of the use of the alarm devices. Ability to walk long hours, both indoors and out, under varying climatic and working conditions to follow assigned routes; to detect danger and to take proper action. Ability to complete reporting in a legible and concise manner.
Requires constant walking, standing, and seeing. Requires frequent lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying objects up to 50 pounds. Requires infrequent sitting, stooping, bending, sorting and filing. Requires alertness and ability to move physically and mentally as needed.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215.
Lamar State College Orange is an EEO/AA/TSUS Institution.
01/18/2021Open Until Filled: