Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-01-05
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The department of Dermatology is actively seeking a full-time Medical Assistant. The Medical Assistant assists in the examination and treatment of patients, under the direction of a physician. Moreover, the incumbent interviews patients, measures vital signs, and records information on patients' charts. The Medical Assistant also draws and collects blood samples from patients and prepares specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Obtains vital signs and patient information for inclusion in the patient's medical record.
- Comply with Neurology PQRS workflow.
- Triage UChart In basket messages which can include creating telephone encounters, and communicating with providers, patients, and other staff members.
- Ensure all related reports, labs and information is filed is available in patients’ medical records prior to their appointment
- Obtain authorizations for medications, diagnostic tests, durable medical equipment (DME), admissions, and other orders as needed.
- Prepares treatment room for examination of patient.
- Schedules patients for tests and completes required forms for lab work.
- Confirmation of patient appointments.
- Answer incoming calls to Neurology Main Line when needed.
- Maintains accurate and complete patient records/documentation in UChart.
- Orders, stocks, and inventories supplies and assists in performing clerical duties.
- Provides patients with basic instruction and information regarding examination procedures.
- Observes the principles of sterile technique in performing duties.
- May assist with physical examinations by preparing supplies and handing instruments/materials to the doctor as directed.
- May give injections or treatments, perform routine laboratory tests under the direction of an attending physician, and assist in other patient care activities such as dressing changes and leg wraps.
- Escort and transport patients to various hospital locations.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Certification in relevant specialty or field
- Minimum 1 year of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze, organize and prioritize work under pressure while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.
- Commitment to the University’s core values.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience and/or certifications may be considered.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:h82