Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-01-04
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Maintenance Mechanic constructs, maintains, and tests mechanical equipment, machinery, and components to maintain the physical assets of the institution in good working order.
Maintenance Mechanic is a general classification of the various skilled maintenance functions that by experience, training and qualification can perform assigned duties without constant direct supervision.
- Provides the proper care, preventative maintenance, and repair maintenance of building surfaces, building structures, hardware, furniture and fixtures in assigned areas.
- Initiates work orders to appropriate maintenance personnel when the nature of the work is beyond the mechanic’s capability. Assists with the completion of the work as required.
- Replaces broken glass in doors, windows and partitions.
- Replaces light bulbs and fluorescent tubes that custodian personnel cannot reach without scaffolding or ladders 6 feet or smaller.
- Replaces faucet washers and flush valves; repairs minor plumbing leaks; unclogs drains with snakes and plumber’s helpers; and other plumbing duties.
- Replaces broken commode seats; repairs tissue, towel and soap dispensers; repairs bathroom partitions; and replaces mirrors.
- Repairs or replaces damaged ceiling, wall, floor, and window coverings, including minor plaster work.
- Adjusts and repairs all door hardware, including the door closure and locks.
- Repairs furniture and fixtures.
- Inspects fire extinguishers and replaces units that are out-of-date, discharged or damaged with fully charged units.
- Performs minor carpentry work such as hanging mirrors and pictures, installs shelves, tightening loose signs and supports, repairing handrails, trimming wood doors, etc.
- Paints areas that require no more than two hours to paint.
- Performs minor electrical maintenance such as replacing light switches, ballasts, light fixtures, wall outlets, replacing fuses, etc.Conducts routine building inspections.
- Conducts periodic inspections of roofs and performs minor roof repairs. Has total responsibility of assigned area.
- Has total responsibility of assigned area.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent
Certification and Licensing:
Two (2) years of experience in the routine maintenance and repair of building equipment and systems components utilizing several building trade skills.
The individual must possess valid motor vehicle operator’s license as issued by the State prior to appointment,
The person must maintain such valid license during tenure of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Commitment to the University’s core values.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Knowledge of standard tools, practices, methods of trade areas assigned.
- Knowledge of occupation hazards and safety precautions of work.
- Ability to understand and follow written/oral instructions.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English in order to work with trouble report system.
- Must be able to satisfy all building trouble reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain satisfactory working relationships with the public and other employees.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- The individual must possess valid motor vehicle operator’s license as issued by the State prior to appointment.
- The person must maintain such valid license during tenure of employment.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c103