Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-01-04
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Security Officer patrols assigned property and grounds to ensure the safety of building occupants and safeguard institutional property. Additionally, the Security Officer provides assistance to individuals that are on University grounds in the event of an emergency.
- Patrols hospitals, buildings, grounds and associated areas to prevent, investigate and document arson, theft, vandalism and any other criminal activity.
- Monitors and responds to security, fire and environmental alarms. Assist in follow-up as necessary.
- Responds to emergency calls for assistance and disasters.
- Investigates unusual incidents reported by UM staff, visitors, physicians and patients.
- Provides excellent customer service to patients, families, visitors and staff
- Maintain a safe and secure environment.
- Normal duties require extensive walking, standing, and/or running.
- Responds to and resolve problems, disputes and unusual circumstances as necessary.
- Handles disruptive individuals with good verbal intervention techniques. Combative individuals may require physical intervention.
- Assist with traffic control as necessary.
- Completes reports and incident documentation as necessary. Reports must be easy to read and accurate.
- Controls evidence, valuables, and lost/found items as necessary.
- Operates UM vehicles in accordance with the rules and regulations of the University of Miami.
- Works in an independent atmosphere with minimal supervision and high public contact.
- Completes all mandatory training programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent required
Certification and Licensing:
Minimum 1 year of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze, organize and prioritize work under pressure while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.
- Commitment to the University’s core values.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
- Proficiency in computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office).
- Must be punctual, dependable and flexible.
- Excellent customer service skills required to handle all levels of personnel, patients, and visitors.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle
- Valid State of Florida driver’s license
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c102