Assistant Professor (Simulation, Animation, and Gaming)
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job_Type: Full Time
Location: Main Campus
The School of Visual and Built Environments (SVBE) in the College of Engineering & Technology (CET) at Eastern Michigan University invites applications for a tenure-track position in the Simulation, Animation, and Gaming Program (SAG) beginning fall 2021. SAG is the largest program in SVBE with 182 students. SAG is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Arts and Design (NASAD). EMU offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package. This position carries an eight month appointment, usually September through April. The ideal candidate will have expertise in simulation, animation, gaming, or a related field.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The successful applicant must have the ability to teach a variety of simulation, animation, and gaming courses that fulfill the SAG curriculum goals and objectives; advise students, develop and maintain curriculum; participate in services to support the mission of the program, school, college, the university, and the community. The candidate is expected to remain active in research and scholarly activities including developing externally funded research programs.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between EMU and the EMU Chapter of the American Association of University Professors, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
- A terminal degree in a field closely related to simulation, animation or gaming; or extensive professional experience with at least six years of professional work experience in the simulation, animation, gaming area, or closely related fields that must be accompanied by the surety of attaining a terminal degree. Closely related fields include but are not limited to: visual time-based media, motion design, film, digital media technology, emerging media arts, and interactive media.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills with a desire to engage in excellent teaching.
- Documented ability to learn and adapt to new teaching content areas and software applications.
- Recognized knowledge of the key concepts in the field of Simulation, Animation, and Gaming including design; from story-board to post.
- Outstanding research potential in terms of publications in scholarly journals, conference presentation, exhibition, and attracting external funding.
Preference will be given to the candidate who has experience in the following areas:
- A record of successful professional experience in visualization, animation, gaming or closely related industries
- A record of successful teaching experience.
- High level of proficiency with Maya, 3dsMax, Adobe CC, Unity and/or Unreal.
- Demonstrated skills in leading student and/or team projects.
- Ability and willingness to assist in keeping the program current and aligned with accreditation and professional standards.
- Ability to work well in collaborative work environments.
Application materials should include:
1) Letter of application (cover letter)
2) Curriculum vitae (rsum)
3) Statement of teaching interest
4) Statement of research interest
5) Diversity statement
6) A digital portfolio/demo reel - with breakdown of work (may be a link to personal website or hosting service - please include password, if protected)
7) Non-official transcripts of highest degree earned
8) Names and contact information of three professional references
9) Access to a portfolio of student work - with breakdown and password if protected (optional)
PDFs are appreciated for all materials.
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by January 18, 2020. Review of applications will begin shortly thereafter and will continue until the position is filled.
If contacted, you will be asked to present official transcripts of your highest degree earned at the time of interview.
ALL ATTACHMENTS MUST BE ATTACHED WHEN SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION. THEY CANNOT BE REVISED OR ADDED ONCE THE APPLICATION HAS BEEN SUBMITTED.
EMU enrolls approximately 17,000 students and offers an outstanding benefits package and a collegial work environment. EMU's distinct mix of comprehensive academic resources, strong community initiatives, focus on Education First, and nationally-recognized undergraduate and graduate student research achievements set it apart. The EMU campus is located in the Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor community, five miles from downtown Ann Arbor and 35 miles west of Detroit, Michigan and Windsor, Ontario.
EMU provides a collaborative, welcoming and supportive culture where differing ideas, behaviors and backgrounds contribute to the educational experience that includes a global and multicultural perspective enhancing the individual, society and the world.
Eastern Michigan University offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance; a TIAA-CREF retirement plan with employer contributions; an outstanding vacation and time off policy; a tuition waiver program and much more.
Click here to view highlights of the University's total rewards program.
For specific information by employment classification, click here to review the Benefits in Brief information.