Research Scientist, Sr - Small Molecule Screening Facility
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Director of the Small Molecule Screening Facility, the Senior Research Scientist performs a variety of complex research experiments using a range of biochemical (enzymatic), biophysical, and cellular modalities to identify potential therapeutics via high throughput screening approaches.Responsibilities
- Design and implement screening projects within the facility.
- Stay current with the literature and regularly lead discussions of new reports pertinent to ongoing and proposed projects.
- Design and implement experiments to further ongoing research projects, in consultation with the facility director.
- Responsible for data acquisition, data analysis, and presentation of research results.
- Organize and analyze data acquired in the course of research projects.
- Assist in the preparation of manuscripts, grant applications and other research proposals.
- Design and implement research projects in the laboratory
- Train and supervise users of the facility, ensuring personnel are trained in current methodology and safety procedures in the laboratory.
- Provide assistance in the general operation of the screening facility.
- Perform routine maintenance on specialized laboratory equipment and interface with vendors.
- Interface with vendors both around purchases and service contracts.
- Interface with collaborators across the University and around the Country
- Daily ordering of supplies, organizing lab supplies for the facility
- Participate regularly in laboratory meetings.
- Run the facility in a positive supportive manner.
- Lead and coordinate the general operation of the laboratory.
- Maintaining records and samples of generated lab reagents: strains, plasmids, proteins and data related to the results of high throughput screens.
- Maintain standard operating procedure of laboratory protocols and best practices.
- Perform monthly billing.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelors Degree in a Chemical or Biological Science, or equivalent degree. PhD preferred.
- 7 years of research experience.
- Familiarity with general laboratory procedures.
- Expertise in specific procedures and instrumentation necessary to complete specific research programs.
- Current knowledge of pertinent literature.
- Oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to travel to off-site locations