Senior Communications Specialist (140081)
Senior Communications Specialist
University of Illinois System - Urbana
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
PRIMARY POSITION FUNCTION:
The University System Office seeks a Senior Communications Specialist to develop and maintain documentation of ID cards, card and identity program information, along with other Treasury Operations communications needs. Develop and maintain documentation of policies, procedures, and operations of the i-card Programs Office, the campus ID Centers, and Treasury Operations as a whole. Coordinate policy and procedures development among the campus ID Centers. Develop and maintain training materials and other technical documentation for i-card staff and clients using i-card software applications. Manage and lead projects related to communications and card-based services. Collaborate with appropriate members of i-card staff to set communications strategies and develop materials to meet strategic goals. Assess priorities and fill the need for technical documentation, client and staff training materials, marketing publicity materials and events, and sponsor and merchant advertising. Work with Help Desk operations to assist clients. Assist with oversight and maintenance of content on the i-card public website. Primary role will be with i-card programs, but some tasks and duties may come from treasury operations (parent organization), such as job duties documentation, client communications needs, website content, etc.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and maintain materials to meet internal and external strategic communications goals, including technical documentation, ID guides and other card/badge type documentation, client training materials (including web application user guides), staff training materials (including staff job guides), policies and procedures documents (including active maintenance of operations manuals), client communication plans, i-card and ID Center forms, i-card and ID Center brochures, i-card's public website, and the broader Treasury Operations needs.
- Centralize and facilitate access to all print and online materials required by i-card and ID Center staff. Facilitate knowledge management by actively managing the electronic filing system.
- Collaborate with the Coordinator of i-card Services and other i-card staff members to set communications strategies for i-card Programs and Treasury Operations.
- Collaborate with the Coordinator of i-card Services in establishing the direction of the i-card Programs' website and in promoting its effectiveness. Assist in creating and maintaining content on the i-card and Treasury Operation's public websites.
- Perform project management duties related to communications and card-related projects.
- Participate in the establishment and maintenance of communications standards for i-card Programs. Standards include content, style, and formatting guidelines for print and online materials. Perform copyediting and format checks as needed.
- Collaborate on marketing activities to promote i-card and Treasury Operations products and services through the websites, brochures and other print materials, promotional events, and other marketing vehicles.
- Assist the Director of i-card Programs in creating and maintaining administrative reports.
- Collaborate in the coordination of communications among the campus ID centers and carding operations.
- Collaborate on the development and implementation of i-card and ID Center policies and procedures. Work with appropriate University officials and personnel to ensure policies and changes to them are included in appropriate manuals and reference materials.
- Work with, and act as backup to, the i-card Help Desk on approximately 5% time basis to assist with Help Desk duties related to ID carding and identity assurance questions, duplicate record resolution, and UIN generation.
- Assist other Treasury Operations units with communications needs, at the direction of the Assistant Vice President of Treasury Operations.
- Perform other assigned duties appropriate for a Senior i-card Communications Specialist.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations, or a closely related field.
- One (1) year (12 months) of professional work experience in marketing, public relations, communications, brand management, or a related professional area.
- One or more years' experience with print and electronic/online/web publications, including information design/architecture, writing, formatting and layout, copyediting, working with print and online graphics, policy and procedures writing, and documentation.
- Experience with ID card-based services.
- Work experience at the University of Illinois.
- Experience with web and database technologies including ColdFusion, HTML5, CSS, other web publishing tools/languages, accessibility standards, and MS SQL Server.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced computer skills using Microsoft Office suite (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio).
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills to effectively interact with University and departmental officials/staff.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent problem-solving skills to address difficult, complex issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills that reflect courtesy, diplomacy, and a collaborative approach to develop and maintain effective work relationships.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise good judgment and discretion in the performance of all work assignments.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work accordingly to meet deadlines while staying on task with daily assignments.
- Knowledge of marketing/publicity/advertising principles and experience in a software development/IT environment.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite including Access and the Adobe Creative Suite.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION:
This is a full-time Civil Service Marketing Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after January 18, 2021. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applications must be received by January 18, 2021. Apply for this position by going to http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.Step 3) Upload the following documents:
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position by going to http://jobs.illinois.edu. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Angela Foster at [email protected] For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior EmploymentCollege Name or Administrative Unit:System Office Category:2-Administrative Title:Senior Communications Specialist (140081) Open Date:01/04/2021 Close Date:01/18/2021 Organization Name:I-Card Urbana