Building Mechanic - University of Illinois Extension - Simpson, IL (141016)
Building Mechanic – University of Illinois Extension
Units 24 & 27 Cluster - Simpson, IL (Pope County - Unit 27) Dixon Springs Agricultural Center
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Employees at this level perform custodial and service work required in the upkeep of a building and perform a variety of semi-skilled tasks of the building and mechanical trades below the journeyman level. They work under general supervision from a designated supervisor.
A(n) Building Mechanic typically -
- maintains and makes operating repairs on electrical equipment and appliances, oil burners, gas stoves, refrigerators, and other equipment.
- maintains and makes adjustments and minor repairs on furnaces, stokers, and coal conveyors.
- performs at less than the journeyman level carpentry, masonry, painting, plastering, roofing, and plumbing jobs and acetylene and electric welding.
- remains available for duties of housekeeper when needed and directed, including covering information desk, answering telephones, making written reports on new information, preparing for special events, setting up furniture, clearing dishes from tables, helping with and clearing away after parties, taking care of small functions without supervision, cleaning rooms, cleaning washrooms, running errands, picking up and returning materials, locking up equipment and buildings, turning off lights, checking kitchen equipment, guarding property against fire, theft, and illegal entry, making periodic check of building, and reporting breakages and irregularities.
- performs other related duties as assigned.
- three years of mechanical and/or electrical experience
For more information about this Civil Service classification:
This Building Mechanic position is a 100%-time, benefits-eligible Civil Service position. The work schedule is to be determined (37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $21.24 per hour.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an Exam Request form for Building Mechanic – Simpson, IL Extension. Please include all relevant work/volunteer experience coordinating educational and/or community programs or activities. This information should be included in the Experience portion of the application. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver’s license (copy of both sides), professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Illinois Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
College Name or Administrative Unit:Unit 24 Category:9-Off-Campus Title:Building Mechanic - University of Illinois Extension - Simpson, IL (141016) Open Date:01/05/2021 Close Date:01/19/2021 Organization Name:Unit 24