Part-Time Assistant I, Biology Lab
Job Title: Part-Time Assistant I, Biology Lab
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 33981
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Montgomery
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College–Montgomery, the premiere student-centered educational institution in Montgomery County, serves The Woodlands and Conroe communities. LSC–Montgomery provides a relaxing and conducive learning atmosphere while offering leisure learning opportunities, individual classes, and unique programs such as radiologic technology, physical therapy, and biotechnology.
Campus address is 3200 College Park Drive, Conroe, TX 77384.Job Description
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Assistant I prepares the setup of each lab so the necessary materials are provided for each class, checks each time a class leaves to make sure the next class will also have the required materials, and provides students with the materials needed to participate in their classes. This is accomplished through setup of laboratory spaces, cleaning of used materials and preparation of necessary substances. Responsible for preparing science labs, maintains and repairs lab equipment, and cleaning lab areas.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensure the labs have all the supplies (chemical solutions, lab equipment, waste containers, etc.) that are needed, and are in the lab for the professor and the students to conduct their experiments
- After labs are completed, put away anything that was left out, clean dishes and equipment, collect any chemical waste, store or dispose of waste in the proper and safe manner and prepare for the next lab
- Operates autoclave and lab dishwasher
- Maintain miscellaneous lab materials, such as watering or planting corn, feeding fish, and cutting tubing
- Organize the lab area to ensure everything is easy to find and accessible, and is not in the way for safety
- Build, put together and maintain lab equipment; ensure lab equipment works and make necessary repair to equipment that is broken down or not running efficiently
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of general Biology lab processes and procedures as learned in BIOL 1406 or equivalent course work
- Ability to interact with staff, students and faculty
- Must be computer literate
- Safety record and safety consciousness
- Flexible and creative to perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work well in a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural environment with students, faculty and staff
The work requires some physical exertion, such as long periods of standing; walking; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities; or recurring lifting of moderately heavy items, such as typewriters and record boxes. The work may require specific, but common, physical characteristics and abilities, such as above average agility and dexterity.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
The work involves regular exposure to hazardous items such as chemicals, toxic or caustic materials, contamination, and electrical hazards. This exposure requires special safety precautions, e.g., working around moving parts, carts, or machines; exposure to contagious diseases or irritant chemicals. Employees may be required to use protective clothing or gear, such as masks, gowns, coats, boots, goggles, gloves, or shields.
- High school diploma or GED plus completion of BIOL 1406 or equivalent college-level Biology coursework
Hourly Pay Rate is $10.25Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.Special Instructions
All applicants for Full Time Faculty and Adjunct Faculty positions are required to provide a cover letter and unofficial transcripts for consideration for employment with Lone Star College.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.