Academic Coach - Writing
This is a part-time position working 25 hours per week.
The Academic Coach, through collaboration with Learning and the Academic Resource Center staff, will provide direct support to learners in group and individualized sessions that will aid students in developing the necessary skills to become successful, self-directed, lifelong learners and will increase success and retention in their courses. In partnership with faculty, the Academic Coach will develop information materials, provide access to resources, and facilitate weekly workshops that provide enhanced understanding of course content through the reinforcement of course concepts. The Academic Coach will facilitate the development of study skills and assist learners in understanding their individual learning style. This Academic Coach will provide specialized tutor support in the content area of writing. This position is grant-funded.
Note: Hours will be determined by the supervisor and candidate, subject to change as workload and needs of our students and work areas change. This position involves local travel.
- Create a welcoming, comfortable learning environment for students who require additional academic assistance to successfully complete NTC required writing coursework.
- Serve as the liaison between the Learning and Student Services divisions, faculty, and students in order to coordinate, schedule, and provide supplementary learning activities for students in assigned writing courses across NTC's district.
- Consult with faculty teams and attend/observe class meetings in order to prepare learning sessions, information materials, and other resources that support student assigned writing courses.
- Facilitate individual and group learning sessions focused on enhancing student understanding of content in identified courses.
- Assist students with the development of improved study skills, time management, and growth mindset.
- Create video recordings and digital materials as a resource repository for students to access on their own time.
- Establish and update data systems with student information. Accurately maintain detailed records of student participation and learning outcomes. Prepare and distribute reports.
- Serve as advocate for at-risk students as they move through critical course milestones.
- Refer students to all service resources necessary for their success.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and to assist with scheduling and coordination of the (professional) tutors as needed to meet the needs of the students.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in writing or related area or equivalent of combination of education, skills, and competency, and knowledge to fulfill the job duties and responsibilities.
- Minimum of two years related experience. Experience working with a diverse student population and knowledge of adult learning styles preferred.
- Efficient in Microsoft Office products, email system, and student database systems.
- Strong commitment to learner success, instructional quality, and experience working in a team environment.
- Demonstrate experience in conflict resolution and relationship management.
- Strong planning and organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Knowledge of NTC programs and resources preferred.
6 to 8 hours: Grasping, sitting, performing repetitive movements and working indoors
4 to 5 hours: and sitting
1 to 3 hours: Standing and walking
Less than 1 hour: Balancing, bending, climbing, crawling, driving, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching, twisting working at heights, working in temperature extremes and working outdoors
Lifting and Carrying:
Less than 10 pounds: 1-10 repetitions per hour
10 to 20 pounds: 1-10 repetitions per hour
20-50 pounds: 1-10 repetitions per hour
50-100 pounds: Less than 1 repetition per hour
More than 100 pounds with help: Less than 1 repetition per hour
Additional Physical Requirements:
Vision: Adequate with aid to read instructions, labels, documents, computer screens, and differentiate between colors.
Hearing: Adequate with aid to understand oral requests, telephone conversation, and PA systems.
Required Employee Program Safety Training:
Emergency action plan, emergency procedures, and ergonomics (office/workplace).