University College (Adm)Work Unit:
University Advising CenterWork Location:
ColvardVacancy Open To:
All CandidatesPosition Designation:
Non-Student TemporaryEmployment Type:
Temporary - Full-timeHours per week:
Master’s degree required with a minimum of 2 years experience involving direct student advising/counseling contact in a higher education setting.Departmental Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education::
Experience in utilizing online student records system (i.e., BANNER, EAB, DegreeWorks) to review records for academic progress a plus.Duties and Responsibilities:
University College is the college all undeclared students at the University. The college is responsible for all academic matters for University College students, including academic advising. The University Advising Center serves currently enrolled University College students and students who are transitioning between majors. The University Advising Center is responsible for assisting students in academic exploration, registration, and navigating academic policies and resources.
Primary Purpose of Position:
The Academic Advisor in the University Advising Center provides advising services for undeclared students and students in transition in the University. The advisor also serves as a resource for faculty, staff, and students in other colleges with regard to general education and academic policies.
Candidate must have the following qualifications: attentiveness to detail; strong organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize multiple requests and handle them in an efficient and timely manner; excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem solving skills; ability to interact effectively with students and faculty of all cultural backgrounds and experience levels; ability to thoroughly understand and abide by federal and university guidelines regarding student confidentiality requirements; proficient use of computers and knowledge of various software programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
– Academic Advising of first-year and and transfer students entering the University whose major is Undeclared.
– Work in conjunction with assigned academic departments to maintain up-to-date curricular requirements as an advising liaison for the University Advising Center.
– Conduct pre-registration advising meetings with all University College students.
– Use DegreeWorks degree evaluation to monitor students progress toward degree.
– Maintain and record accurate advising notes from meetings with students.
– Maintain an up-to-date calendar so that students are able to schedule advising appointments.
– Send out email notifications to all advisees regarding academic issues as needed.
– Make appropriate referrals to students for other campus resources as needed.
– Work with students in choosing a major which best meets their career goals.
– Academically advise students transitioning from one major to another.
– Maintain a current knowledge of the academic programs of the University and their requirements.
– Work with advising partners in other departments who identify students who are not progressing in a declared program, and provide assistance in transitioning the student to a more suitable program.
Attend weekly staff meetings.
Other duties as assigned by Associate Director, Director or Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Education.
01/25/2021Expected Length of Assignment:
4-5 monthsPosting Open Date:
01/05/2021Posting Close Date:
01/15/2021Special Notes to Applicants:
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application. These documents will be used to evaluate your written communication skills as well as supporting documents of your knowledge, skills, abilities, education, and professional experience.
Please ensure your full range of knowledge, skills, abilities, experience, and education are listed on your application. Do not write ‘see resume’ on your application when completing the job duties section.
Full-time temporary positions do not offer leave accrual (paid time off), or retirement entitlement or benefits (state service). However, full-time temporary employees are eligible to participate in a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP).
Please use these links for more information: