Job Title: Admissions Specialist
Location: Admissions Processing
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605172
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
Assists with the admissions process by ensuring the accuracy and efficiency of all admissions function to include; verifying the authenticity of documents submitted by students; calculating admissions evaluations to ensure adherence to Arizona Board of Regents policies; creating and applying course articulations to student transfer credit records. Performs duties with the goal of minimizing course duplication and reducing costs for students. Serves as a vital member of the evaluation team to ensure the process functions in a smooth and timely manner.
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Works effectively with students and internal stakeholders as it pertains to admissions evaluations, document processing and transfer credit.
- Assists with processing admissions applications according to federal, state and institutional guidelines and regulations. Requests additional information for incomplete applications.
- Review transcripts for specific required courses, compute grade point averages and review standardized test scores.
- Enters a wide range of information into the computerized student file including: prospect/applicant data, test scores and transcript data.
- Leads the maintenance of an organized and centralized repository of course articulation rules and records
- Stays current on updates to program curricula and requirements.
- Verifies accuracy and authenticity of documents submitted by student.
- Evaluates courses/credits from other institutions, including foreign institutions by researching and comparing course descriptions.
- Verifies residency status of students.
- Conducts data analysis to identify discrepancies and find resolution.
- Performs a variety of mathematical equations associated with the conversion of grading systems, credit evaluation, etc.
- Conducts evaluations and determines merit/scholarship award eligibility in accordance with University policy.
- Participates in the annual audit of student records.
- Responds to inquiries regarding admissions status and other information requested by students, parents, and university staff via phone, email, and in person.
- Works collaboratively with teams associated with Enrollment Management and Academic Support.
- Responds to inquiries regarding admissions/records status and other information requested by students, parents, and university staff via phone, email, in person and CRM case management.
- Works directly with students and internal stakeholders to resolve admissions, transfer credit, articulation and document processing questions and issues.
- High school degree.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of university and college curriculum content and requirements.
- Knowledge of Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Knowledge of Graduate and Undergraduate Admissions operations and trends.
- Skills in prioritizing and completing multiple tasks of varying complexity and urgency in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to present the department to customers and stakeholder in a positive and professional manner.
- Data entry with minimal errors.
- High level attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Customer service skills.
- Working with a student information system and customer relations management system.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships.
- Works collaboratively and efficiently with stakeholders and students to quickly resolve problems
- Communicates effectively.
- Possesses problem solving, organizational, and analytical capabilities.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
The budgeted salary amount is $34,000.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
January 18, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.