Public Safety Officer
Job no: 492464
Work type: Full-time
Location: St. Louis, MO
Categories: Public Safety
Advertised: January 04, 2021
Maryville University is seeking a culturally aware Public Safety Officer for the 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m., Thursday through Monday shift to maintain a safe and secure living and working
environment on a diverse and multicultural campus. Public Safety Officers manage all
effective patrol, enforcement, and community services during the assigned shift. The
officer will respond to service calls requiring excellent customer service focused to serve
the diverse and multicultural campus population of faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
• High school diploma or GED
• U.S. citizen or permanent resident as required to obtain a private security officer license.
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
• Must possess or have the ability to obtain and maintain an armed private security
officer license under the guidelines of the St. Louis County Police Department.
• Successful completion of psychological screening, and drug screening upon hire and
• Ability to obtain certification to carry OC spray, ASP baton, and handcuffs.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task and set priorities.
• Strong human relations skills with the ability to interact positively with a diverse
• Ability to develop and implement strong problem-solving techniques.
• Knowledge of basic first aid, CPR, and AED.
• Ability to work with others in a team atmosphere.
• Good organizational and management skills.
• Ability to work weekends and nights to include overnight and holidays.
• Ability to drive a vehicle and maintain a driver’s license with an acceptable driving
record to operate University-owned vehicles.
• Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, political science, or related field.
• Cultural competency and/or sensitivity knowledge and training.
Open Until Filled
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants
An offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.