Sr. Public Relations Specialist - Dean's Office
Sr. Public Relations Specialist - Dean's OfficeDepartment:
CAES Agricultural & Enviro SciencesAbout the University of Georgia:
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department:
The College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences is one of 18 schools and colleges that make up the University of Georgia. Small, upper-level classes allow students to connect easily with professors. Students can study plants, animals, business, communication, teaching, food science, and the environment. The college focuses on providing a safe food supply, a clean environment, and a better life for everyone. CAES has classrooms, laboratories, and facilities on UGA campuses in Athens, Griffin, and Tifton, Georgia.College/Unit/Department website:
TRS or ORPEmployment Type:
Benefits EligibleFull/Part time:
Full TimeAdditional Schedule Information:
Monday – Friday, 8-5 with evening and weekend hours as neededAdvertised Salary:
Commensurate with qualificationsPosting Date:
01/04/2021Open until filled:
YesProposed Starting Date:
02/01/2021Location of Vacancy:
Athens AreaEEO Policy Statement:
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification Title:
Marketing/Public Relations ProfessionalFLSA:
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience within an academic setting and systems of a large and complex organization.
- Experience working at a land-grant university in agriculture is preferred or knowledge of agricultural and environmental sciences.
- Demonstrated history of successfully communicating orally and in writing with varied stakeholders and maintaining effective working relationships
- Shown excellence in managing an array of projects and establishing priorities for self and others.
- Organizing and coordinating skills and the ability to efficiently manage resources.
- Ability to use a variety of software packages at an expert level.
- Ability to maintain effective collaborative relationships with faculty, staff, clients, students, and other stakeholders.
This new position will develop and implement communications strategies to grow and shape the positive reputation of the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES) and for the CAES Dean’s office. It will include oversight of Dean’s office web content and social media, news distribution, and college-wide communication initiatives. This position will coordinate media relations for the Dean’s office and contribute to government relations support and assist in the management of emerging issues and crises as needed and coordinate resources as necessary. It will actively cooperate and coordinate with the CAES Office of Communications and Creative Services (OCCS).Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies:
- Ability to concentrate for extended periods and organize diverse information
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing, in-person, and via telephone and computer to various constituents
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and time-management skills
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities while meeting tight deadlines
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office, iMovie, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Final Cut Pro, on Mac and/or PC platforms
- Ability to travel
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends in support of college events
- Sitting at workstation for periods of time as well as being able to actively navigate events.
- Normal office environment
- Occasional need to move and carry up to 20 pounds
YesIs this a Position of Trust?:
NoDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?:
NoDoes this position require a P-Card? :
NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? :
NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?:
NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications):
YesCredit and P-Card policy:
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities:
1. Proactively and effectively lead and support Dean’s office communication strategies to external and internal stakeholders ensuring consistent and timely messaging.
2. Develop effective relationships with Georgia, regional, national, and international media outlets to promote CAES faculty, researchers, and programs. Identify media opportunities and promote a professional and positive public awareness of CAES through external communications.
3. Serve as contact for the Dean’s office and responds to media queries in a timely and effective manner. Ensure this position is viewed as a dependable resource for CAES government affairs and public relations issues. Act as liaison for CAES leadership and coordinator for media support for both the Griffin and Tifton campuses.
4. Develop an effective web and social media presence for the CAES Dean’s office to both internal and external stakeholders.
5. Arrange press conferences, interviews, and other media and event appearances for the Dean and CAES Leadership. Coordinate effectively with OCCS and CAES Office of Development and Alumni Relations.
News Writing/Public Relations Support
1. Seek out, research, write, edit, and fact check news articles and other communication needs focused on CAES research, teaching, and extension programs. Coordinate with CAES Office of Communications and Creative Services (OCCS).
2. Write speeches for the Dean as necessary for special events.
3. Track, evaluate, and develop reports of the results of PR efforts. Develop effective surveys, polls, and social media listening opportunities.
4. Effectively leverage Google analytics and social media management tools to measure the online engagement across CAES multiple platforms (e.g. CAES websites, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
5. May supervise student workers/interns in the development of effective media resources.
General Public Relations Activities
1. Coordinate with OCCS photography/videography resources to cover CAES events as necessary.
2. Identify needs and develop training and assistance for CAES faculty, staff, and agents in media relations and social media.
3. Adhere to UGA/USG policies and procedures.
4. Other responsibilities within the purpose and scope of the role.