Postdoctoral Research Scholar
063001 - NC Inst of Climate StudiesDepartment:
063001 - NC Inst of Climate StudiesJob City & State:
Asheville, NCEssential Job Duties:
The Postdoctoral Research Scholar will provide scientific and technical support in climate assessment science and data analysis. Primary responsibilities include participation in creating the capability to evaluate causes of extreme weather and climate-related events. Anticipated activities and research studies will include the development and testing of prototype systems that leverage capabilities to conduct objective, quantitative assessments of the causes for extreme events having high impacts on the United States.
The Postdoctoral Research Scholar will contribute to climate science analyses and perform targeted cutting-edge research on the causes of extreme weather and climate-related events as well as associated sustained attribution activities. This will include the use of traditional climate monitoring frameworks to help define the boundaries of events, synthesis of different climate trend and climate variability components which may be responsible for climate extremes, leveraging seasonal hindcast data sets to assess how the probability density function (PDF) of daily variability (and its extremes) is influenced by climate trend and climate variability, and assessment of private-sector and public-partner attribution needs. Targeted research topics may include meteorological interpretation of extreme event trends, causes of regional variations, and weather system analysis of CMIP6 simulations.Other Work/Responsibilities:
- Fully participate in unit (NCICS, NCEI, project teams, etc.) activities and meetings.
- Make timely presentations at appropriate scientific venues as required.
- Prepare and publish peer-reviewed research on activity results.
- Prepare and submit grant applications for extramural support.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Monday - Friday, 8AM - 5PMDepartment Required Skills:
- Ph.D. in Earth or environmental science (atmospheric science, geography, etc.), engineering, or related field.
- Completion of Ph.D. by start date of appointment.
- Experience with analysis of large observational and/or model climate datasets.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Personal enthusiasm for the project goals.
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as make positive team contributions.
- Experience with the CMIP suite and/or regional climate modeling datasets and analyses.
- Experience with reanalyses.
- Experience with in situ and remotely sensed datasets.
- Experience with the development and use of statistically downscaled datasets.
- Experience with modern methods for statistical analysis of weather and climate extremes.
N/AValid NC Driver's License required?:
NoCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoAnticipated Hiring Range:
$55,000-$65,000Job Open Date:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.