Assistant Professor (Interior Design)
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job_Type: Full Time
Location: Main Campus
The School of Visual and Built Environments (SVBE) in the College of Engineering & Technology at Eastern Michigan University invites applications for a tenure-track position in the Interior Design Program beginning fall 2021. IDE has 100 students and is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) along with the National Association of Schools of Arts and Design (NASAD).
The successful applicant must have the ability to teach a variety of Interior Design courses that fulfill the IDE curriculum goals and objectives; develop and maintain curriculum; participate in services to support the mission of the program, school, the university, and the community. Working with students for recruiting, advising, and supporting the student organization is important. The ability to teach lecture and studio courses will give one a mixed schedule. The candidate is expected to remain active in research and scholarly activities, including developing externally funded research programs.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach contractual load of undergraduate and graduate courses as assigned by the school.
- Assign and submit grades in accordance with established University schedules.
- Keep posted office hours during the week, which are scheduled at times most beneficial to students.
- Provide academic advising to students.
- Attend and participate in scheduled school or college meetings and functions.
- Support program recruiting and special events.
- Serve on search committees for the hiring new faculty members, departmental committees, and other service committees across the college and university.
- Participate in activities such as student organization events, alumni events, advisory board meetings, and commencement.
- Engage in pursuits that enable one to remain current in the respective discipline.
- Engage in pursuits that help to further organize and contribute to the growth of the body of knowledge in the respective discipline, and/or to explore interdisciplinary implications.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between EMU and the EMU Chapter of the American Association of University Professors, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
- An earned Ph.D. in interior design, architecture, or a related field with undergraduate or master's-level degree in interior design or architecture, or an MFA in a closely-related field.
- Hold NCIDQ credentials or AIA registered architect. Hold other credentials (e.g., LEED, WELL, EBD, etc.)
- The successful candidate must have effective communication and interpersonal skills with a desire to engage in excellent teaching with evidence, demonstrated ability, or potential to deliver high-quality instruction in lecture and studio courses.
- Documented ability to learn and adapt to new teaching content areas and software.
- Recognized knowledge of the key concepts and applications in the field of Interior Design, including design theory, human-centered design, drafting/CAD/Revit, rendering skills, sustainability/LEED, codes, environmental systems, and other design-related software/VR.
- Have research potential in terms of publications in scholarly journals, conferences, and attracting external funding.
Preference will be given to the candidate who has experience in the following areas:
- A record of successful professional and teaching experience (full or part-time).
- Proven skills in directing student and/or team projects.
- Variety of skills with software related to designing presentation
- Community networking for student internships or studio projects
Applications must include 1) a specific letter of interest, 2) complete vita or resume that includes three references with contact information, one of which must come from industry, 3) brief statements of teaching philosophy, including a list of courses taught, and 4) statement of research interests and areas. Review of applications will begin in late January 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
If contacted, you will be asked to present official transcripts of your highest degree earned at the time of interview.
ALL ATTACHMENTS MUST BE ATTACHED WHEN SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION. THEY CANNOT BE REVISED OR ADDED ONCE THE APPLICATION HAS BEEN SUBMITTED.
EMU enrolls approximately 17,000 students and offers an outstanding benefits package and a collegial work environment. EMU's distinct mix of comprehensive academic resources, strong diverse community initiatives, focus on Education First, and nationally-recognized undergraduate and graduate student research achievements set it apart. The campus is located in the Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor community, five miles from downtown Ann Arbor and 35 miles west of Detroit, MI, and Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
Eastern Michigan University offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance; a TIAA-CREF retirement plan with employer contributions; an outstanding vacation and time off policy; a tuition waiver program and much more.
Click here to view highlights of the University's total rewards program.
For specific information by employment classification, click here to review the Benefits in Brief information.