Business Systems Analyst Working-PeopleSoft HCM Payroll Applications
This is a professional position responsible for project and end user support of administrative information systems within a group of Business Analysts responsible for ensuring that service goals and objectives are accomplished within prescribed time parameters, within budget, while taking a holistic approach to the integration of the applications. The role of this position is production and project support and planning activities that are aligned with strategic and operational improvements and initiatives.
Under the general supervision of the Manager of the application area and in coordination with the lead analyst, the employee will interpret and respond to user problems related to information systems and perform project task assignments. The employee will work closely with technical and managerial staff to develop and improve support procedures and ensure specific project goals are accomplished as a team. The employee initiates and owns project improvement initiatives, production support, and project related tasks within their functional area of expertise.
This position may lead small projects and works with the team lead and management team on more strategic initiatives. Tasks are varied in nature and often time critical. The customer base and the service environment are complex. Identification of and adherence to IT best practices and standard operating procedures for service area are important, however, flexibility in meeting the needs of customers is also a key consideration. Data-based decision making is expected.
- Provide second-level production support for the universities throughout the state of Georgia and to the University System of Georgia Shared Services Center.
- Provide subject matter expertise and mentoring for other subject matter experts (SMEs) in providing functional support to end users on multiple PeopleSoft modules within the Human Capital Management (HCM) system. Areas of expertise should include one or more of the following: Human Resources, Managed Faculty Events, Payroll, Time and Labor, Absence Management, Commitment Accounting, Workflow and Security.
- Serve as backup support analyst providing functional support to end users on multiple modules within core application systems.
- Provide expertise as the functional liaison to support the integration of various application systems among multiple core administrative application systems.
- Provide 24/7 on-call rotational support of applications.
- Work with users and stakeholders to define, analyze, recommend and implement system improvements and functionality in an effort to increase customer input and improved quality.
- Analyze requirements, design and assist in development of solutions to meet business requirements.
- Document functional requirements, system design specifications, use cases, workflow diagrams, and interface designs.
- Document modifications and work with technical analysts to deliver application program modifications and improvements to end users.
- Work closely with Technical Developers to assist in development of custom solutions, fixes, patches and security.
- Identify appropriate testing strategy and prepare resulting test cases and scenarios.
- Perform unit and system testing and assist with Institutional constituents in user acceptance testing as applicable.
- Participate and lead inter/intra departmental business process improvement initiatives.
- Support change control process and associated tools to fully document and manage application changes.
- Provide content and identify areas that require change for end user documentation (i.e. Business Process, training, Known issues, release notes, etc.).
- Provide end user training.
- Function in a back-up capacity for release coordination tasks and assignments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain a consistent, high quality, customer-focused orientation when developing and supporting services for both internal and external users.
- Treat customers, staff and co-workers with respect, courtesy and tact; listen well and maintain a professional relationship.
- Communicate with customers and obtains all required information necessary to determine and address their specific needs; tactfully explain how organizational computer system functions apply to them.
- Provide clear, accurate information; explain procedures or materials or provide supplemental information; anticipate problems and questions.
- Maintain a working knowledge of current trends and developments in the field of administrative services and information technology by reading appropriate publications and attending related seminars, conferences, etc.
- Attend relevant training seminars as permitted by workload and budget constraints.
- Participate in organization or system-provided training regarding changes in administrative services, rules, and regulations.
- Lead small to mid-size application or system related projects.
- Participate in evaluating vendor proposals for services and software related to Fiscal or administrative applications and associated systems.
- Coordinates activities of project team on an inter- and intra-departmental basis as required.
- Coordinates project activities with activities of government regulatory or other governmental agencies as required.
- Assigns tasks to project members and monitors progress.
- Requires good interpersonal communication skills to effectively present information and respond to questions from clients, customers and the general public.
- Requires good interpersonal communications skills to support effective customer interaction.
- Good written communication skills are also required for writing reports and business correspondence.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Must be flexible, well-organized, and team-oriented.
- Must be able to work on a schedule that includes nights, weekends or holidays when required to address escalated issues.
- Must be able to travel as needed, including several consecutive overnight stays where applicable, to support organizational objectives and initiatives.
Bachelors degree required.
Over three years of related experience required.
Equivalent combination of education and experience.
Bachelor's degree and over five years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience working with a human resources information system or payroll application from a functional perspective.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of USG internal operations business procedures.
- Knowledge of relational database management systems.
- Knowledge of process improvement principles.
- Knowledge of project management principles.
- Knowledge of software development lifecycles and approaches.
- Knowledge of functionality testing procedures.
- Knowledge of end user training and support principles.
- Knowledge of database management concepts.
- Knowledge of change management processes.
- Knowledge of database programming and scripting principles.
- Knowledge of Board of Regents policies and procedures.
- Skill in collaborating with multiple constituents.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in the provision of support to end users.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Ability to respond diplomatically to sensitive and critical issues.
- Ability to effectively multi-task.