Vice Chancellor and Chief Information Officer (CIO)
Job Title: Vice Chancellor and Chief Information Officer (CIO)
Department: Information Technology Services – Strategy and Fiscal Affairs
Reports To: Executive Vice Chancellor for Strategy and Fiscal Affairs
The University System of Georgia (USG) is one of the nation’s largest and leading public higher education systems. The USG is committed to creating a more educated Georgia that is prepared for the global, knowledge economy by increasing degree completion, ensuring academic excellence, spurring research and creativity, driving business creation, and making effective and efficient use of resources. The USG will accelerate our state’s higher education commitment to educational attainment, accountability, partnerships, performance, value, and global competitiveness. Our organizational core values are founded upon the principles of Integrity, Excellence, Accountability, and Respect.
POSITION AND IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The USG is accepting applications for the Chief Information Officer (CIO) of the University System of Georgia Information Technology Services (ITS) Division. ITS constituents include 26 higher education institutions, the Georgia Public Library Service, Georgia Archives, Shared Services Center and numerous state and federal agencies, businesses, educational partners and Georgians. ITS is committed to agility, innovation, flexibility and creative problem solving focused on aligning technology solutions with USG operations and strategic priorities.
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic, forward thinking, collaborative, results oriented, technology expert with an exceptional background which demonstrates success in leading an Information Technology operation of comparable size, scope and complexities. Their background should include proven strategic leadership ability and a record of accomplishment in either higher education, public or private sector organizations.
Serving under the direction of the Executive Vice Chancellor for Strategy and Fiscal Affairs, the ITS CIO serves as the senior administrative official responsible for leading the USG’s Information Technology vision, strategic planning, change management, policy, architecture and infrastructure, and innovation initiatives. The CIO will be responsible for supporting the USG strategic plan and portfolio of initiatives to both leverage the current and anticipated information technologies and services as well as explore and implement IT innovations which achieve the USG’s strategic goals of student success, responsible stewardship, economic competitiveness and community impact.
This position directs the efforts of over 180 fulltime employees including both the downtown Atlanta office and the Information Technology Services facility located in Athens, Georgia. Fiscal oversight includes an operations budget exceeding $70 million; reviews institutional strategic planning of major technology acquisitions plans and projects; system-wide approval responsibility for processing technology procurements and related business cases; and responsibility for information technology infrastructure approvals of all new facilities and major renovations.
1. Leads USG IT initiatives by working with other USG leadership to achieve the strategic goals of the Chancellor and the Board of Regents (BOR).
2. Coordinates the development and implementation of IT best practices and standardization across the USG and constituents; leads the development of IT related BOR policies, procedures and implementation guidelines.
3. Provides leadership, guidance and support to the USG CIO Advisory Council which functions as a professional organization for University System IT leaders, and serves as an advisory body for the USG and as a stakeholder communication group for the USG Vice Chancellor and Chief Information Officer.
4. Provides oversight and management of IT services and operations in support of Academic and Administrative services to include Student Information System, Learning Management Systems, HR/Payroll/Benefits Information System and Financial enterprise systems, and USG data communications network.
5. Directs, develops and provides IT services and governance to all USG affiliated constituents. Oversees USG Technology procurement approval for qualifying IT purchases.
6. Leads personnel responsible for all aspects of IT operations including enterprise contract negotiation, software sales, campus engagement and community of practice development and for all USG institutions.
7. Provides data governance support to facilitate effective and efficient system wide data collection, warehousing, and reporting.
8. In collaboration with the USG Chief Information Security Officer supports USG cybersecurity policies awareness and best practices.
9. Supports the USG Strategic Plan in the leadership and implementation of a new ERP platform.
10. Oversees the management of ITS human, financial and facility resources to support organizational goals.
11. Performs related duties as assigned.
- An advanced degree from an accredited 4-year university level institution and at least ten (10) years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. A terminal or doctorate degree preferred.
- Proven track record in strategic planning and implementation of information technology solutions through incorporating an understanding of requirements by constituent groups including, Academic Affairs, Administrative Services and Strategy and Fiscal Affairs.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize complex and/or diverse information taking into account organization’s strengths and weaknesses, challenges and opportunities, and need for change management
- Demonstrated ability to translate long-term strategies into day-to-day operations management including experience in aligning resources with strategic goals and priorities.
- Experience in building and managing a workforce based on organizational goals, budget considerations and staffing requirements. Leads and fosters an inclusive work environment where diversity and individual differences are valued to achieve the mission of the organization.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills including demonstrated ability to develop and maintain constructive and professional relationships with System Office administrators and staff, elected and appointed executives, campus leadership, constituents at all levels and industry partners.
- Must be able to effectively translate and communicate the real and potential capabilities of information technology to achieve the educational and business objectives to these diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated record of managing, planning and forecasting fiscal and budget requirements including operational budgets, licensing, sourcing and contract negotiations; and personnel recruitment, retention, and compensation.
- Demonstrated evidence in building collaborations internally and with other constituent groups to achieve common goals of the USG Strategic Plan.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED BY THE JOB
1. Knowledge of Board-level governance, functions, relationships and history.
2. Knowledge of IT related federal and state laws, rules and regulations impacting higher education.
3. Knowledge of IT system engineering and project management principles.
4. Knowledge of standard IT processes, techniques, applications, and services.
5. Knowledge of process improvement theories and practices.
6. Skill in collaborating with multiple constituents.
7. Skill in decision making that produces high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems and calculating risk.
8. Skill in building effective interpersonal relationships and interfacing with the public.
9. Skill in oral and written communication.
10. Ability to respond diplomatically to sensitive and critical issues.
11. Ability to effectively multi-task.
12. Ability to bring internal and external strategic change to meet USG goals.
The position will remain open until filled with an anticipated start date of May/June 2021. For full consideration, apply by January 31, 2021. Apply via the University System of Georgia career portal at http://www.usg.edu/hr/jobs/.