Tenure-Track, Assistant Professor in Industrial Design
Faculty Position: Industrial Design
The School of Design in the College of Art and Design at the Rochester Institute of Technology invites applicants to apply for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position (special consideration for exceptional candidates), to teach in the Industrial Design (ID) program. The Industrial Design program focuses on developing strong conceptual and formal design skills. Students are engaged in the theory, process, and practice of design throughout the undergraduate and graduate curriculums. The Industrial Design program is consistently ranked amongst the top programs in the nation for undergraduate and graduate study.
We are seeking an individual who is engaged in diverse practices in industrial design and has the ability and interest in contributing to a community committed to student-centeredness; cross disciplinary opportunities; professional development and scholarship; integrity and ethics; respect, diversity and pluralism; innovation and flexibility; and teamwork and collaboration. Select to view links to RIT’s core values, honor code, and diversity statement.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- A terminal degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Interaction Design (MFA, MID, PhD), or a terminal degree in a related field of study
- Minimum of two years professional experience or extensive consulting in a relevant field
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in a relevant field at the university level
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency in one or more of the following: product design, user experience and interaction design, service design, sustainability design, design and technology, emerging industrial design practices, design theory, design history, design methodology
- Experience with visualization and communication skills common in applied design process and practice
- Ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the college's continuing commitment to cultural diversity, pluralism, and individual differences
To see all College of Art and Design faculty searches with links to apply, please visit, http://rit.edu/artdesign/jobs.
How To Apply Apply online at http://careers.rit.edu/faculty; search openings, then Keyword Search 5426BR. Please submit your application, curriculum vitae, cover letter addressing the listed qualifications and upload the following attachments:
- A brief teaching philosophy
- Provide the names, addresses and phone numbers for three references
- A contribution to diversity statement
- Course syllabi with at least three assignments
- Provide a 15 to 20 page PDF or a link to a website presenting examples of professional work. (max 5MB)
- Provide a 15 to 20 page PDF or a link to a website presenting examples of students’ work. (5MB Max)
You may contact the search committee with questions on the position at: Peter Byrne, School Director, School of Design, email at: [email protected].
The School of Design is comprised of five undergraduate programs, three graduate programs, and the Vignelli Center for Design Studies. The undergraduate programs include: 3D Digital Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Interior Design, and New Media Design. The graduate programs are: Visual Communication Design, Industrial Design, and Integrative Design. Approximately 750 undergraduate and 90 graduate students are enrolled in the School of Design. To learn more about the programs in the School of Design, please visit rit.edu/artdesign/school-design.
RIT does not discriminate. RIT is an equal opportunity employer that promotes and values diversity, pluralism, and inclusion. For more information or inquiries, please visit RIT/TitleIX or the U.S. Department of Education at ED.Gov.
To receive full consideration, all application materials should be received by January 18, 2021. The position will be open until an acceptable candidate is found.