Grant Proposal Development Specialist, 74990
Location: UMKC Volker Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 35029
Missouri Institute for Defense & EnergyJob Description
UMKC is pleased to invite applications for a Grant Proposal Development Specialist position within the Missouri Institute for Defense & Energy (MIDE). The Specialist will assist the research proposal process by identifying, conceptualizing, developing, and writing federal agency and foundation proposals for external funding projects. The MIDE Business Development team provides comprehensive services for small and large-scale, multidisciplinary, collaborative, and multi-institutional proposals both within MIDE and to UMKC faculty affiliates across the campus community.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Identify, automate, and screen solicited and unsolicited funding opportunities that align with the mission of UMKC MIDE
- Provide full lifecycle editing and writing support for grant submissions, including creating proposal workplans, managing timelines and project milestones, coordinating meetings and documents within research teams
- Serve as liaison between Principal Investigators (PIs) and the Office of Research Services Pre-Award team for PeopleSoft page requests and author required proposal documentation
- Edit draft proposals to create highly competitive submissions
- Provide guidance to PIs and Program Leads to clarify opportunity expectations/requirements with program officers and attend conference/consortium meetings to identify new MIDE opportunities
- Review proposal feedback for potential resubmission opportunities and/or submission to other grant agencies
- Assist in the tracking, preparation, and submission of grant/contract reporting documentation, including serving as a point of contact for compiling report sections from researchers, editing for content and grammar, and reviewing submissions to ensure report requirements are met or exceeded
The ideal candidate will:
- Have outstanding technical writing and editing, research, and organization skills
- Provide knowledge of agency funding requirements and submission procedures
- Be able to multitask and work effectively under deadlines
- Understand faculty culture and work well with a wide variety of individuals
- Deliver intense attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience and at least 3 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
Successful candidates will be exceptionally organized, efficient, and motivated self-starter, with the ability to work independently and as part of a fast-paced, growing team, as well as excellent interpersonal skills, both written and verbal, who values a diverse work and learning environment, who is known for their positive can-do attitude.
- Master’s degree in English, Physics, or Engineering. Degrees in other areas may be considered with a proven record of high quality technical writing
- 1-3 years experience in research and grant writing. Prior grant experience working with federal agencies a plus
- 1-3 years experience with Program Management
- A solid understanding of budgets as they relate to proposals, contracts, and grants
- Proficiency in all areas of Microsoft Office
- Ability to hold and maintain a United States Security Clearance
$47,476 - $65,468
UMKC offers a competitive salary, affordable medical and dental plans (no waiting periods), 403(b) savings plan, and University paid long-term disability and life insurance benefits.
January 24, 2021Application Instructions
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (855) 524-0002.Comments
The University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC) is the largest comprehensive, fully accredited university in the Kansas City area and the only public research university in our community. We offer more than 125 academic areas serving more than 16,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional students from all 50 states and 85+ countries. UMKC grads are everywhere! And they’ve gone on to find success throughout the Kansas City community and beyond.
UMKC has a strategic plan with five pillars: provide exceptional student learning, success and experience; become a thriving discovery enterprise; transform our community and region with impactful engagement; foster an environment of invigorating multiculturalism, globalism, diversity and inclusion; and develop a strong and resilient people, process and physical infrastructure.
We are building a community in which we support each other, learn from each other and grow together. The successful candidate will have a genuine enthusiasm for students and the university.
UMKC is proud to be one of this region’s premier institutions of higher education and our people are our most valuable asset. To deliver on our goals, we are committed to helping all UMKC Kangaroos become their best selves while striving for excellence in everything they do.
For more information about UMKC, visit umkc.edu. You can also find us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and see us on Instagram.
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor - Human Resources at 816-235-1621.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties and functions of this job. If you believe you may have difficulty performing any of the duties or functions of this job, please contact the Office of Affirmative Action at (816) 235-1323.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: