Gross Room Lab Aide
DescriptionUniversity of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Pathology
Gross Room Aide-Laboratory Support I
Position #00755597 – Requisition #19832
The Department of Pathology is seeking applications for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Gross Room Lab Aide (Laboratory Support I). This role will be responsible for assisting the Pathologists, Residents, Pathologists’ Assistants and Gross Room Technicians with patient specimens. This role will act as a front-line point of contact in anatomic pathology which requires a strong professional demeanor and strict attention to detail, as the gross room is an extremely busy and varied environment, and the workflow requires significant concentration. The Gross Room Aide will be directly responsible for every patient specimen they handle and will enter anatomic pathology specimens into various computer programs. This role is responsible for general lab maintenance, and will interact with other allied health professionals such as nurses and support staff to resolve interdisciplinary clinical issues.The Gross Room Lab Aide must use personal judgement in managing specimen receipts and must determine the manner in which they organize daily work flow. This role must also know when to consult a supervisor about various issues and must pay strict attention to detail at all times, and show a willingness to resolve issues or seek a supervisor to do so.Examples of Work Performed:
- Proper accessioning of surgical pathology cases.
- Specimen triage.
- Staining slides during intraoperative consultation.
- Distributing appropriate specimen containers, requisitions and tissue cassettes.
- Printing additional tissue cassettes.
- Organizing tissue cassettes numerically.
- Gross room maintenance.
- Disposal of biological waste.
- Organization of work areas.
- Stocking supplies.
- Monitoring supply inventory.
- Assisting various staff.
- Filing paperwork.
- Answering telephone and faxing.
- Effectively communicating. Internal/external communications are frequent among coworkers, which include pathology staff, trainees, clinicians, nurses, transcriptionists, etc. Internal discussions could involve procedures, problems and upgrades.
The salary range (or hiring range) for this position has been established at $28,692 - $31,644.The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected] The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- One (1) year of experience in a Clinical Laboratory Lab
- Substitution: Appropriate education will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
- An Associate’s or higher earned degree in a biological science from an accredited institution.
- Experience working with students, staff, and faculty within a higher education and/or academic medical environment.
- Experience working in a Surgical Pathology Gross Room.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to establish rapport with persons of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to interpret complex rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Ability to listen and follow precise protocols and written instructions.
- Demonstrated ability to organize workload, file correctly by alphabetical and numerical order.
- Must possess a professional demeanor and have experience that demonstrates problem solving skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently with minimal supervision.
- The successful candidate will be detail oriented, self-motivated, a fast learner and possess excellent time management, organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to take direction and use independent judgment to coordinate and meet multiple deadlines.
- Familiarity with HIPAA and security compliance requirements.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Dec 30, 2020
Unposting Date: Ongoing