Assistant/Associate/Full Professor – Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Search #: 494961
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Faculty Tenure Track
The School of Engineering at the University of Connecticut invites applications for multiple tenure-track or in-residence faculty positions at all levels in the area of Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Applications are encouraged from all fields of engineering, in particular computer science and advanced manufacturing, but also including biomedical, chemical/biochemical, civil, environmental, electrical, and mechanical engineering. Working as a team with each other and with other key players already at UConn, the successful candidates will combine their own unique technical expertise with distinct but complimentary backgrounds, skills, and experiences related to technology innovation and entrepreneurship. The combined expertise of the successful candidates should span the following roles: (i) one or more serial technology entrepreneurs with prior success in licensing their own IP and/or acquiring venture capital to support their own successful high-tech enterprises; (ii) an experienced technology entrepreneurship mentor able to guide fellow faculty or students in the practice of establishing and maturing research-based startups and able to spot opportunity for venture development from across the UConn Engineering research portfolio; (iii) a dedicated educator able to establish and grow collaborative, internationally-recognized educational programs in the area of technology innovation and entrepreneurship. While no one applicant will bring all these qualifications, the group together will elevate UConn Engineering and enhance economic development in the state.
The position has an expected start date of August 23, 2021.
At UConn Engineering, all tenured/tenure-track faculty hires must develop a vibrant funded research program that is recognized for excellence by their particular engineering field. This research may be in any field of engineering or engineering education and may include basic research, applied research, technology development, and/or entrepreneurship characteristics. Candidates able to establish and develop collaborative interdisciplinary research with current UConn faculty are preferred.
All applicants should be committed to effective instruction at the undergraduate and graduate levels. They will be expected to develop innovative courses at the intersection of engineering, business, and technology. Such courses should embrace experiential learning, should provide opportunities for life-transformative educational experiences, and must be designed to advance diversity and inclusion. Primary teaching responsibilities will be aligned with the UConn Engineering’s existing undergraduate Entrepreneurship minor and/or the Master’s of Engineering in Global Entrepreneurship program (offered jointly with UConn’s School of Business). Successful candidates will be dedicated mentors, potentially including mentoring students/faculty in developing their own successful enterprises.
Successful candidates will be expected to demonstrate leadership in enhancing inclusion and broadening participation of members of under-represented groups through the candidates’ research, teaching, mentoring, and/or public engagement activities.
UConn Engineering is home to seven departments, a talented and growing student population, a nationally-competitive research program, and faculty that are well-known experts in their field. UConn Engineering works with hundreds of companies each year, providing them with talented workforce, collaborative research projects, and technology transfer opportunities. Connecticut and its engineering community look to UConn Engineering for leadership, intellectual capital, and outstanding graduates who will ensure the economic future of our state. Through investment in campus resources, a focus on entrepreneurial ventures, a strong connection with industry partners, and a drive to innovate, the UConn Engineering is developing successful students, maintaining research excellence, and contributing to economic development in the state of Connecticut.
Founded in 1881, the UConn is a Land Grant and Sea Grant institution and member of the Space Grant Consortium. It is the state’s flagship institution of higher education and includes a main campus in Storrs, CT, four regional campuses throughout the state, and 13 Schools and Colleges, including a Law School in Hartford, and Medical and Dental Schools at the UConn Health campus in Farmington. The University has approximately 10,000 faculty and staff and 32,000 students, including nearly 24,000 undergraduates and over 8,000 graduate and professional students. UConn is a Carnegie Foundation R1 (highest research activity) institution, among the top 25 public universities in the nation. Through research, teaching, service, and outreach, UConn embraces diversity and cultivates leadership, integrity, and engaged citizenship in its students, faculty, staff, and alumni. UConn promotes the health and well-being of citizens by enhancing the social, economic, cultural, and natural environments of the state and beyond. The University serves as a beacon of academic and research excellence as well as a center for innovation and social service to communities. UConn is a leader in many scholarly, research, and innovation areas. Today, the path forward includes exciting opportunities and notable challenges. Record numbers of undergraduate applications and support for student success have enabled the University to become extraordinarily selective.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Completion of all requirements for a Ph.D. in an engineering or a related field by the time of appointment (equivalent foreign degrees are acceptable). Candidates without a doctoral degree (or its equivalent) with significant achievements and experience in technology innovation and entrepreneurship may be considered for alternative faculty positions.
- Demonstrated potential to establish and undertake a successful funded research and scholarship program in the applicant’s field of expertise (t/tk applicants).
- Significant personal achievement in technology innovation and entrepreneurship
- Demonstrated potential for excellence in teaching and mentoring at the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Demonstrated leadership in enhancing inclusion and broadening participation among members of under-represented groups.
- Outstanding collaboration and team-building skills.
- An earned PhD in an engineering or a related field by the time of appointment (equivalent foreign degrees are acceptable).
- Demonstrated excellence in research and scholarship in the applicant’s field of expertise.
- Demonstrated potential to develop collaborative interdisciplinary research with current UConn Engineering faculty.
- Demonstrated success as a technology innovator or serial technology entrepreneur including success with prior technology licensing and/or acquisition of venture capital.
- Demonstrated success recognizing opportunity and guiding others in the practice of establishing and maturing research-based startups and demonstrated potential.
- Demonstrated excellence leading courses and/or programs in technology innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Demonstrated excellence in mentoring, including mentoring of student/faculty entrepreneurs.
- Demonstrated excellence in public communication and a record of public engagement.
- Knowledge, skills, or experience that would tend to elevate the visibility and reputation of UConn’s entrepreneurship-related educational programs.
This is a full-time, 9-month, tenure-track or in-residence position with an anticipated start date of August 23, 2021. The successful candidate’s primary academic appointment will be at the Storrs campus. Rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.TO APPLYPlease apply online to Academic Jobs Online https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/17877 and submit the following application materials:
- A cover letter that specifies the track(s), rank(s), and role(s) for which the candidate wishes to be considered and a point-by-point justification for how the applicant meets all minimum qualifications as well as any applicable preferred qualifications.Curriculum vitae,
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship statement (innovative concepts that will form the basis of academic career: including prior experience in technology innovation, high-tech entrepreneurship, mentoring of other entrepreneurs, etc.);
- Teaching statement (including teaching philosophy, teaching experience, commitment to effective learning, concepts for new courses in Innovation and Entrepreneurship, etc.);
- Diversity statement (including details of prior leadership in enhancing inclusion and broadening participation among members of under-represented groups);
- Narrative describing the candidate’s prior technology development achievements;
- Contact information, including email and phone numbers for three (3) references. Candidates applying for positions at full professor rank may request a preliminary review prior to supplying letters. Please contact Dr. Leslie Shor, Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Education via email at [email protected]
Evaluation of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.At the University of Connecticut, our commitment to excellence is complemented by our commitment to building a culturally diverse community.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This position will be filled subject the budgetary approval.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Dec 29 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Feb 28 2021 Eastern Standard Time