Job Identification: 16
Locations: 1 E. Jackson Blvd, Chicago, IL, 60604, US
Job Schedule: Full time
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
At DePaul University, we are looking for candidates who want to join us in our mission to provide access to education for all. Successful candidates welcome ideas and perspectives from colleagues and students representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, religious beliefs, and experiences. We seek collaborative, open-minded and hard working professionals to work in a real world urban learning environment. Are you exceptional, yet modest and open to challenges? We seek achievers and leaders that want to bring their passion and skills to our well-respected community of approachable colleagues. Build your career with us.
The Senior Accountant will manage accounting processes, oversee accounting transactions for assigned areas and assist with the university's month and year-end close process, including preparation and review of journal entries, account reconciliations, financial statements, trial balances, and other reports. They will work directly with and supervise 1 to 2 staff accountants. They will provide technical accounting assistance and assist with external audits.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Assists with the university's month and year-end close process including preparation and review of journal entries, account reconciliations, trial balances, financial statements, and other reports.
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts as assigned and review reconciliations performed by staff accountants.
- Mentor and train staff accountants and student interns.
- Address and respond to ad-hoc management requests and other items from university personnel regarding financial questions/issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting.
- 4+ years experience in Audit.
- 2+ years supervisory experience.
- Proficiency with FASB ASC, Advanced knowledge of GAAP and COSO frameworks, AICPA audit standards.
- CPA license.
- The Senior Accountant will directly supervise 1-2 staff accountants.
- Serve as the primary resource related to enterprise risk management, internal controls, and technical accounting research for a University with two main campuses with greater than $1B in net assets and 23,000 students.
- Works collaboratively with management and executive level personnel throughout the university.
- Findings and results will be presented at board meetings.
- Interacts with external auditors and consultants with regard to audits and complex accounting transactions as well as numerous internal departments including Internal Audit and the Office of Compliance.
DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.