Surgical Support Technician - OPSC OR
Job location: BATTLE BUILDING AT THE UVA CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-03-22
Responsible for rendering technical patient care and assistance to an assigned patient population under the supervision of a higher level health care professional in the main operating room and/or satellite areas.
- Interacts with patients in an appropriate manner.
- Adheres to basic sterile technique practices.
- Assists in the maintenance of a safe environment for patients self and staff.
- Recognizes the importance of time sensitive issues.
- Supports operating room procedures.
- Maintains patient positioning devices.
- Demonstrates proper room cleaning/turnover.
- Interfaces effectively with peers and customers and assumes responsibility for professional development of self and others per departmental policy.
- Demonstrates leadership in the delivery of technical patient care.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Education: High School or Equivalent. Surgical Support - OR training program is required for continued employment in the OR as a Surgical Support Technician.
Experience: 1+ years of customer service or patient care experience. Including, but not limited to, volunteering, or other customer-facing experiences is preferred.
License/Certification: CNA Preferred, EMT Preferred. CNA or EMT requirement within 2 years of hire. American Heart Association (AHA) Health Care Provider BLS certification required.
Job requires standing for prolonged periods, frequently bending/stooping/walking, reaching (overhead, extensive, repetitive). Proficient communicative, auditory and visual skills; Attention to detail and ability to write legibly; Ability to lift/push/pull 20 – 50lbs. May be exposed to fumes, chemicals, cold, radiation, blood/body fluids and infectious disease.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.