Director, Experiential Learning
Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-12-29
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Miami Herbert Business School (MBS) is seeking a Director of Experiential Learning to develop a unified experiential learning program across the school and create curricular and co-curricular initiatives in support of an experiential learning environment that exceeds student academic growth and expectations. This unique opportunity will support the development of programs in collaboration with multiple constituents and grow experiential learning opportunities, develop and implement new pedagogical, curricular, and advising models and create a more intentional, integrated, and impactful student experiential experience.
- Strategically develop, implement and evaluate unified experiential learning initiatives across MBS graduate programs to ensure a positive, productive and holistic academic experience for students.
- Collaborate with faculty to assess project needs, parameters, and outreach strategy for experiential learning course projects.
- Develop and implement a new unified experiential learning program including new courses and project opportunities including for-profit, student-driven and faculty supported projects for hands-on learning.
- Create new types of experiential opportunities across MBS (e.g., through integration with alumni, integration with pre-college opportunities, cross-and co-curricular opportunities, integration with employer partners, etc.).
- Develop key metrics on experiential learning initiatives and recommend improvements to existing programs or the creation of new ones.
- Establish consistent and regular evaluation of all programs and continually assesses to improve and/or enhance programs.
- Contribute to the design of strategies for coaching learners through the implementation process; through advising, co-op coordination, internships, mentor/mentee relationships.
- Plan various experiential learning events, including information sessions, program kick-offs, global engagement opportunities and other student engagement events.
- Cultivate and manage intentional relationship development with multinational corporations, subject matter experts, nonprofits, alumni and speakers. Leverage partnerships to advance MBS mission, values, strategic goals and objectives.
- Manage risk management compliance for the experiential learning courses.
- The position requires programmatic development and planning; collaboration with faculty, staff, and student training; partnership development; administrative responsibilities; program oversight; budget management; and an entrepreneurial and strategic working style.
- Guide experiential learning experience to create a seamless operational and administrative environment that exceeds student needs and expectations.
- Negotiate contracts with vendors if necessary, manage on-ground logistical delivery of programs.
- The position reports to the Director of Career Advancement.
- The position is located in Miami, Florida, at the MBS facility requiring travel as needed; however, the position may be impacted by remote work protocols due to COVID-19. Schedule flexibility is required on evenings and weekends as needed to accommodate student programming.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
- Master’s Degree in relevant field (i.e. Business, Psychology, Education, Learning Sciences, Communication, Design or a related field).
- A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional leadership experience including supervisory/management experience.
- Experience in a service business that requires managing multiple projects while working with internal and external partners and satisfying high-level constituencies.
- Proven ability to develop and launch new educational initiatives is essential along with excellent planning, communication skills, networking and relationship management skills.
- Solid project management skills, managing multiple projects simultaneously with the ability to coordinate resources, establish schedules, track deliverables.
- The selected candidate must have the ability to work effectively with faculty, students, administrators and corporate community leaders. Experience with entrepreneurial ventures is preferred.
- The ideal candidate must have the ability to understand the big picture and overall strategic vision, while managing the day-to-day implementation of the established strategies.
- Exceptional communication skills with proven ability to effectively articulate complex messages to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, cross-functional team, fast-paced environment, where flexibility, creativity, and resourcefulness are required for success.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships, influence others and move others toward a common vision or goal.
- Ability to proactively seek external industry knowledge and continued learning.
- Demonstrable knowledge and interest in, academic program development, and corresponding program management and administrative functions, experiential learning concepts and practices.
- Working knowledge and appreciation for the following critical business concepts: entrepreneurship, business analytics, leadership, risk management, innovation and emerging business trends.
- Demonstrable self-starter mindset, and ability to work through ambiguity and take initiative. Strong executive presence and professionalism.
- Knowledge of program budget development, strong attention to detail and highly organized.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with a varied constituency including faculty, staff in multiple departments, students, entrepreneurs, executives, and industry representatives.
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office Suite software including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, data analysis, information storage, and presentation.
- Commitment to the University of Miami’s core values. Ability to effectively lead, motivate, develop and train others. Cross-cultural competence and experience of working in a diverse, multi-cultural environment.
- Schedule flexibility on evenings/weekends as needed to accommodate student programming and success.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c108