HR AssociatePosting Number:
HR AssociateWorking Title:
HR AssociateClassification Code:
1334RCW Exemption Criteria:
19 - Personnel Admin/Labor RelationsEWU Position Number:
P-422110 - HR Generalist, SeniorFLSA:
Exempt - Administrative% Full Time:
100Salary / Wage Range:
AE - 110Salary Information:
$58,760 – $64,000Anticipated Start Date:
January 2021Term of Appointment:
Yes - BothResponsible HR User:
Vara Lyn ConrathResponsible HR User Email address:
- Eastern Washington University seeks candidates for two professional Human Resources Associates. The Associate positions serve as the principal consultant for an assigned client area which could support faculty, classified, exempt, and temporary employees of the university in such functional areas as classification, compensation, employee relations, human resources information systems, organizational structure, recruitment, performance management, training, contract, rule and policy advice.
- Required competencies include:
1.Effective communications and interpersonal skills, including the ability to form productive and effective professional relationships throughout the university based on earned trust, respect and reliability and the ability to be discrete and maintain confidentiality.
2.Critical/analytical thinking, obtaining and applying information to support decision making, to initiate solutions, resolve problems, and to contribute to strategic planning.
3.Ability to consistently deliver exceptional customer service.
4.Ability to establish credibility based on others recognition of the human resources knowledge and experience offered, based on honesty, transparency and ability to comply with policies and procedures.
5.Ability to keep up-to-date with best practices, policies and procedures, and collective bargaining agreements and the ability to foster greater understanding and acceptance of new perspectives, best practices, procedures, policies, and options available in any given situation.
6.Resilience, flexibility, adaptability – able to adjust priorities and approach in the face of frequent changes impacting the organization, work responsibilities and how work is performed.
7.Knowledgeable about diverse HR functions and processes, and able to develop an in-depth understanding of the operations, culture, and personnel of Eastern Washington University.
8.Ability to provide training and coaching to help others take responsibility for their own personal work performance and professional development.
9.Ability to work independently with little supervision, to consistently and accurately apply acquired knowledge, and at the same time, to function as a collaborative and supportive team member.
10.Self-initiative and consistent high-level performance which demonstrates a strong work ethic and contributes to the value that Human Resources brings to the university.
- The candidate selected for this position will be rewarded with competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package which includes highly subsidized health/dental plans, retirement plan with 100% university match, generous paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays, tuition waiver benefit and more.
- This is an open recruitment. Three days notice will be provided prior to closure of the recruitment.
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to our primary campus in Cheney, we also offer programs in Spokane’s innovative University-District, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement:
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
- This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
- If you would like to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form, which describes the physical and mental demands of the position, please contact Vara Lyn Conrath at [email protected]
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
University, local, regional and state mandates for public and personal protection should be followed as needed.Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of five years of human resource experience beyond entry-level work, in the following functional (or related) areas:
- Classification, position development, and compensation,
- Organizational structure and restructure
- Employee relations, including performance management, training and coaching,
- Human resources information systems, such as PeopleAdmin and/or Banner
- Contract, rule and policy advising,
- Technological Skills:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite products such as Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point; database management (such as Human Resources Information Systems), report generation
- Additional Skills:
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously while effectively managing deadlines
- Be able to work with others at all levels of the organization effectively, with a professional demeanor and ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality
- Posses strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Have excellent interpersonal skills, strong oral and written communication sills, and emotional intelligence
- Able to manage conflict, collaborate and work effectively both independently and as a member of a team
- Be customer service oriented and have a strong commitment to quality customer focused relationships and service
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal accessibility, or our students, staff, faculty and the public.
- Human resources experience in a college or university setting
- Experience in an environment with collective bargaining
- Experience serving as the functional administrator of an HRIS or related system
- The positions are are officially located on our Cheney Campus with regular office hours 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Position may occasionally require evening or weekend work to meet the demands of the office.
- We are abiding by the Governor’s guidance and allow teleworking with supervisor’s approval.
12/21/2020Open Until Further Notice:
YesScreening to Begin:
January 4, 2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit your application materials through our online applicant portal located at http://jobs.hr.ewu.edu. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Vara Lyn Conrath at (509) 359-4300.
Required application materials and information must include:
- Cover letter, which explains how you meet or exceed each of the qualifications of the position, required and preferred if applicable. The preferred format is to provide a bulleted list within the body of the cover letter.
- Resume to include work history and major duties, education, and any specialized training or skills related to the position.
- List of at least 3 professional references including names, title, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses, and their connection to you.
- Applicant Certification – please download the Certification form (link is provided in the next field); then complete and sign the form, and upload it to this link.
- Diversity Response: As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080, applicants for employment at any Washington State institution of higher education, are required to provide a signed statement verifying information about their history of prior sexual misconduct and providing authorization for current and previous employers to disclose relevant records to Eastern Washington University.
All applicants are required to download the statement linked below, complete and sign it, and then attach the signed statement as part of their job application: Required Applicant Certification.
Attach the completed and signed certification to the document link called Applicant Certification.
Application% of Time:
30Responsibility / Duty:
- Assist employees (at all levels of the university), managers and departments by providing advice and counsel related to HR functional areas and services; by assisting in problem and conflict resolution, performance development, personnel actions such as layoff and separation; and interpreting and applying the collective bargaining agreements, university policies and procedures, and state and federal laws.
Yes% of Time:
35Responsibility / Duty:
- Responsible for the applicable position requisition, recruitment, and hiring processes for assigned area;
- Review position requisitions submitted by departments for quality, accuracy and alignment with university standards; recommend appropriate advertising media and timelines utilizing PeopleAdmin and Job Elephant, or other university systems and processes related to hiring; develop recruitment information, advertisements and supplemental marketing materials as needed; maintain updated information and statuses in PeopleAdmin related to positions and applicants; provide search committee training; monitor recruitments and exercise oversight of applicant evaluation process; screen applications as assigned; facilitate approval of interviews and hires; generate applicant demographic reports; develop offer letters and contracts; maintain recruitment files, applicant records and forms in adherence to university and public records requirements.
- Conduct sexual misconduct reference checks as assigned
Yes% of Time:
20Responsibility / Duty:
- Review proposed position descriptions submitted by departments; determine appropriate employment status, overtime eligibility and work with supervisor to identify essential function qualifications/standards and performance expectations.
- Conduct job audits which includes reviewing completed position questionnaires, interviewing employees and supervisors, making recommendations and discussing with appropriate President/Provost/Vice President; preparing the notices for review and signature; prepare information to support position in grievance and testify as needed; maintain records and reports pertaining to audits; maintain tracking reports.
- Assist departments in the development of exempt position analysis; review the evaluation for internal alignment; make recommendations for appropriate salary range to Senior Director.
Yes% of Time:
15Responsibility / Duty:
- Perform additional professional level Human Resources work, which may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Provide supervisor and employee training and coaching; develop training
- Serve as the functional administrator of EWU’s HRIS (PeopleAdmin)
- Perform complex data analysis, generate reports
- Respond to information requests
Facilitate processes unique to assigned area