Head Lifeguard - Essential
Head Lifeguard - Essential
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Summary of Position:
The Head Lifeguard position at the Trefethen Aquatics Center at Mills College is an all encompassing leadership role. Head Lifeguards are expected to perform all managerial duties in the absence of the Aquatics Director and are responsible for being competent in all positions at the pool to be able to step into those roles as needed. During their shifts, Head Lifeguards are responsible for overseeing and coordinating all aquatics programs at the pool. In keeping with the Mills College Strategic Plan, the Head Lifeguard helps to ensure that through training and enforcement, the Trefethen Aquatic Center is operated in a safe, compliant, and inclusive manner. Employment opportunities are provided which assist with student satisfaction, retention, and programming supports the development of a vibrant campus community.
Essential Job Functions:
- Acts as shift leader during assigned shifts. In charge of decisions and communication regarding staff, patrons, and the facility during each assigned shift.
- Assists Aquatics Director in carrying out supervisory responsibilities to effectively manage the aquatics programs and staff in accordance with Mills' policies and applicable rules and regulations during their shifts.
- Performs regular lifeguard and swim instructor duties during times not in the shift lead role.
- Maintains constant surveillance of the pool area. Knows, understands, and consistently applies, enforces and models safety and pool rules, policies and guidelines.
- Maintains constant overview of staff and patrons during their shift.
- Responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with American Red Cross training and Trefethen Aquatic Center policies and procedures, and plays a leadership role in said emergencies.
- Communicates well with and maintains effective relationships with the staff.
- Communicates well with the public, including parents of swim lessons, participants in all programs, and all users of the pool.
- Establishes and maintains an effective customer service orientation toward all personnel contacted during the course of job performance. This includes maintaining and protecting confidentiality of information.
- Acts as the "go to" staff member when needed for any program and/or shift.
- Documents and notifies the Aquatics Director of incidents/accidents, member questions/concerns, damaged equipment, supply needs, etc.
- Ensures the outlined procedures for opening/closing the pool area are fully completed.
- Performs general housekeeping tasks to clean and maintain the pool area.
- Records and keeps accurate records of all pool chemical readings and takes appropriate actions, as needed.
- Maintains all American Red Cross certifications required (Refer to Education and Training section for all required Certifications needed).
- Plans and teaches American Red Cross lifeguard classes.
- Plans, leads, and participates in ongoing in-service trainings, staff meetings, and other trainings as directed by the Aquatics Director.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance. Secures a substitute if unable to cover scheduled shift and notifies Aquatics Director of schedule substitutions prior to the change.
- Assists with preparation, planning and implementation of special events, rentals, etc.
- Works well with other Head Lifeguards and works together in a collaborative manner for the greater good of the pool.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must practice safe social distancing and wear a face covering at all times while on shift.
- Administers entrance screenings and facilitates smooth patron pool entrance and exit.
- Manages pool-user's social distancing and safety procedures.
- Assists pool staff in cleaning and disinfecting the facility before, during, and after shifts.
- Answers patron's questions regarding COVID-19 guidelines.
- Is knowledgeable in the swim reservation program and provides assistance in signing patrons up for swimming time slots.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must be able to comfortably interact with public and staff.
- Must be confident in making and enforcing decisions.
- Must have early morning, evening, and weekend availability.
- Helps organize, teach and manage swimming classes to the public and staff.
- Performs special projects as assigned and/or as determined by the TAC management team.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned by a supervisor for the benefit of the Aquatics Department.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Possesses a courteous, professional behavior
- Must have been a certified lifeguard and have worked as a lifeguard for at least one year, including during a full summer season
- Must have been a trained swim teacher and have worked as a swim teacher for at least one year, including during a full summer season
- Able to act in a professional and calm manner while experiencing the mental and physical stress of responding to an emergency
Education and Training:
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor certification (Must obtain 6 months after date of employment)
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard certification
- Current American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer certification
- Current American Red Cross First Aid certification
- Current American Red Cross AED certification
- Current American Red Cross Oxygen Administration certification (preferred)
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Must be able to sit, stand, and walk for long periods of time while maintaining optimum scanning vigilance of the pool
- The incumbent will often spend long hours expected to work in varying climates outdoors
- Work requires physical exertion such as lifting heavy objects over 50 pounds, swimming distances and sprint swimming
- This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a temporary, part-time position that begins as soon as possible. Additional semester appointments are possible, based on job performance. Starting hourly rate begins at $17.50. Increases are based on periodic reviews and hours worked. Mandated benefits, including Social Security, State Disability Insurance, Workers' Compensation, Unemployment Insurance, and sick leave are included.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://www.mills.edu/policies/ada-policies/nondiscrimination-statement.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
- American Red Cross certifications
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To apply, visit https://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=125959&CNTRNO=11&TSTMP=0
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency