Educational Specialist - TRIO
Job no: 494349
Work type: Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Education and Training, Student Services
Advertised: December 28, 2020
Applications close: January 18, 2021
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
Provide in-depth, specialized, and/or comprehensive advising to faculty and students regarding class choices, curriculum options, majors, departmental and University policies and procedures, and other academic needs.
This is an 11 month position.Level Scope:
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.Essential Functions:
Student Support and Advocacy 25% (Unique to TRIO)
Provide intensive support and service to an assigned caseload of students both in an individual setting and in a group advisory course;
Students served by TRIO Rising Scholars include the following academic disciplines: Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, and Business;
Holistic Support includes:
Providing academic advising and coaching that supports course planning/sequencing, degree pathway, and major requirements;
Provide group advisory instruction through a designed cohort common course experience;
Supporting co-curricular exploration in inclusive leadership, undergraduate research, service learning opportunities;
Post-graduate and career preparation in the areas of social capital/network building, professional skill building, job/internship searches, graduate school/professional programs;
Serving as a social-emotional support figure to facilitate personalized growth and development.
Administrative 10% (Unique to TRIO)
Maintain thorough recordkeeping of participant contacts;
Timely follow-up correspondence with students;
Maintain up-to-date and accurate participant records necessary for Annual Performance report;
Participate in All-Staff Meetings and Scheduled Events.
60 % of the Time:
● Maintain positive connections with faculty and staff in focus area to facilitate student connections.
● Coordinate communication of information related to important dates, deadlines and procedures to advisees.
● Monitors student progress and suggests and implements corrective actions with students encounter academic difficulties. Meets with students with academic probation suspension or academic misconduct issues.
● Keeps current on university and college policies and procedures, and rules and regulations to assist students in meeting academic requirements.
● Acts as a source of information for prospective students, and actively recruits students through participation in various university and college sponsored orientations and events.
● The ability to effectively communicate information and ideas
● Ability to develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize and accomplish the tasks at hand
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills
● Demonstrate a strong understanding of institutional policies
● Good knowledge of: discussing career and educational goals with students; identifying student strengths and weaknesses.
● Experience: in student counseling, development, education or related field.
Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Cover letter and resume.